Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oriental Red Poppies

Posted by laagarden 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 13, 11 at 20:21

I started Oriental Red Poppies from seed, and I have great germination. I just planted them out. They are supposed to be like 3 ft. tall, I believe. I'm trying to figure out if they reseed themselves or if they will just come back next year from the roots.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oriental Red Poppies

I actually want to ask the same question. I just got some seeds. I know they are perennial. But if I sow the seeds now, will the seedlings survive the winter?

Here is a link that might be useful: vegetable gardening tips

o
RE: Oriental Red Poppies

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 14, 11 at 12:27

laagarden, Papaver orientale is perennial, established plants come back from the roots each year. They often go dormant in summer heat, send out a flush a new growth as weather begins to cool in Fall so I hope you planned for that seasonal 'bare space' when siting yours.

Sara, our seasonal die back and bare ground is much less time than in other parts of the country. The seeds will take about 2 weeks to germinate surface sown at about 68F, if it's much warmer it could take longer - I'm not sure that's likely this year :)

You do run a risk of losing such young plants with a hard freeze as we were exposed to last November, that one was difficult for even some mature established plants. If you sow and plant this season, you may want to be prepared to protect if necessary, pile on the dry leaves, put an upended bucket over them for a few days, or if still in pots, move someplace semi-protected until normal winter weather returns.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here