Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing datura from seed in Oregon

Posted by rainydaywoman_z8 OR (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 12 at 20:53

I started datura metel from seeds I had saved from a nursery plant. They took forever to germinate (inside); I planted them out in July when they were healthy large seedlings and the soil had warmed. Now they are just sitting there, alive but not growing, and it is already August. Does anyone have some advice for me (I have some seeds left)? Can I winter sow datura? (I live in rainy Oregon, where the soil does not warm up sometimes until July.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing datura from seed in Oregon

Hi Rainyday,

I live in Missouri and grow datura metel (yellow and purple) from seed every year; they grow like crazy here. As far as starting them from seeds, I've found that a month or so of moist cold stratification (in the refrigerator) makes a world of difference. I never nick datura seeds (scarification), just put them in the frig for a month or so and germinate them using the paper towel method. If you use seeds you saved yourself, they should be pretty fresh and germinate in 3 to 6 weeks, mine usually take less than a month.

I enjoy starting seeds under lights in my basement during the boring winter months, so I don't winter sow anything outside. I would think, however, that datura would do very well when winter sown.

As for your plants not showing much growth, I don't know. I assume they're planted in a well draining area where they get plenty of sun; they love the heat. Other than that, I've never done anything special and they always grow to at least five or six feet high and just as wide (or even more) in one season. They won't make it through the winter here so I grow them as annuals.

Anyway, I hope something here is helpful and I wish you the best of luck with your plants.

Art

o
RE: Growing datura from seed in Oregon

I save my seed every year. Start seed indoors in January and it is blooming in mostly shade, about 3 feet tall, right now. Seed is started at 70 degrees, and germinates normally within two or three weeks, with no pre-treatment. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here