Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
purple rose of sharon

Posted by mmstorms SD (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 2, 11 at 21:09

Okay I'm new at all this. I recently won purple rose of Sharon seeds. I live in South Dakota and I'm wondering what the best thing is to do with the seeds. Do I save them until spring and then plant them? Or should I start them now inside in pots?
Someone please help me. I want to add great color to my boring yard lol.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: purple rose of sharon

Hypericum (Rose of Sharon) is a cool temperate plant and normally the seeds would be produced in fall. I would be inclined, especially in view of the very warm summer temps in USA right now, to delay sowing until at least mid- September. Follow the usual precautions: sterile compost etc. BTW the flowers of all Hypericums are yellow, it is only the foliage which, in this case, is purple! Good luck

o

Rose of Sharon is usually used to refer to Hibiscus syriacus in the US.

o

Thank you for the help. It is greatly appreciated.

o

mmstorms - the answer ifraser25 gave you is excellent but unfortunately it refers to the plant known as 'Rose of Sharon' in the UK, ie Hypericum calycinum. The plant you refer to as 'Rose of Sharon' in the US is Hibiscus syriacus, as purpleinopp says, so the info is not necessarily relevant. I have never grown it from seed so cannot help from first hand experience. I grow shrubs vegetatively, ie cuttings etc, to ensure I get an identical plant to the parent. Seed can give variable results. The link might be useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus syriacus from seed

o

mmstorms - you live in South Dakota--what is your USDA zone? Hibiscus syriacus/rose of Sharon is rated as winter hardy to zone 5 & warmer. I'd hate to have you grow seedlings only to lose them to a cold winter.

o

South Dakota USDA zone is 5A

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here