Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
some seeds sprout before others in a flat??

Posted by alex2828 none (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 7, 11 at 0:11

What if I have a flat full of seeds in a dark, warm and moist environment and some of them start to sprout before the others. Do I move the whole flat into the light as soon as I see one sprout or do I wait till several, half or all of the seeds sprouts?

Last winter I tried starting seeds indoors and I had a lot of trouble with leggy, weak sprouts. I had many kinds of seeds in each flat to save space but when some started to sprout before the others, I didn't know what to do with the flat as a whole.

This year I plan to separate each type of seed into its own flat, but I only have so much counter space inside and in the greenhouse. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: some seeds sprout before others in a flat??

I start my seeds in four inch salvaged nursery pots. I can grow up to 50 plants to transplant size in this pot. I cover the pots with plastic wrap held on with a rubber band, until germination. They must then be moved to a cooler location with more light and good air circulation. Al

o
RE: some seeds sprout before others in a flat??

alex2828 - if you have an area outside where you can put containers, I suggest you check out winter sowing. There is a winter sowing forum here on GardenWeb where you can read about it and ask questions. It's fun, easy, low-cost and a great way to play in dirt right through the winter. There's no guessing/worrying whether the seeds need light or dark because it's all up to Mother Nature. She's been doing it for a few million years and is pretty good at it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here