Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fluffybonbon

Please help!!!Tip how to grow jujube from seed

fluffybonbon
14 years ago

Hi, I have some fresh jujube seeds.

This is my first time trying to grow a fruit tree so I'd like some advice on what to do. Jujube seeds are hard shelled so do I need to nick the seed or soak the seeds in warm/hot water over night to speed up the seed to sprout?

Any help is appreciated.

Comments (7)

• yiorges-z5il
    14 years ago

store seed at 70F for 3 months then at 40f for 3 months THEN lightly cover seed soil temp 65-70F

• urban8_gmail_com
    12 years ago

2 years late to the party on this question, but for the sake of those who find this thread via searching for germination tips on ziziphus jujuba:

Cracking the seed with a small hammer greatly speeds up the process; just don't hit hard enough to damage the endosperm....not difficult, just start tapping lightly and increase force until you hear a crack.

Planted this way, germination in about a month @70F; no pre-chill required, you've overcome the primary germination inhibitors by manually breaking the shell.

• Trishcuit
    12 years ago

this thread makes me want to eat jujubes (the candy). An all time favorite. Yellow ones are good. :)

• nsmith07
    12 years ago

The rest of the seeds, except for one, have sprouted! So I have 80-90% germination over a few tries by cracking the seed and repeatedly soaking in warm-hot water. Initial soakings lasted a few days, and then they went into a paper towel full time, with one more soaking in a two week period before germination. Some I left in the woody husk and it takes a bit longer, but germination still occurred.

I completely lost about 1 in 6 or 7 seeds because of the cracking process, but even with a bit of seedcoat damage, germination still occurred on some of the seeds, and in the lack of stratification still makes it worth it to me. Plus, there are two seeds in each husk, so even if one is lost, you will probably get one out of a damaged husk removal.

PS- These seeds were dried, not fresh, and I am not sure if that makes a difference to the process.

• jianhuayegreentree
    11 years ago

I have read a research paper from China that seedling from seed will have good root system with a main tap root that goes down. So you will not get many root suckers that always happen with those seedling that comes from root sucker. Those have shallow root system and spreading.

I definitely will try too root the seed to see how it goes.

• Tom DeCoste
    7 years ago

They are super easy and fast if you get them from jiovi®. They are "dehulled" when you buy them and will germinate in soil in 4 days. It's the only way to go.