Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
onions, shallots, and garlic.

Posted by proflonghair07 7a (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 3:07

hey guys I am new to the forum and am hoping to possibly receive some help with a very specific situation. I have tried my hardest to do my research and ask as little questions as possible but have found it hard to find the proper course of action to take in my specific situation. I live in nashville. The zone here is 7a and I am looking to grow onion, shallots, and garlic in an outdoor container garden. I wish to plant in the fall and harvest in the spring. I more ideally would like to plant from seed, but am willing to plant sets if seeds are unlikely to do well. My soil is heavy clay and i have had horrible results with root vegetables in the past (only radishes, turnips, and carrots). The foliage has done beautifully while the roots stay tiny. This time around I plan to do raised beds with all outside soil. Any advice on suppliers, variety, techniques, and any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. As I am on a budget if anyone could point me to one supplier that could provide quality onion, shallot, and garlic seeds (not sets) from the same supplier it would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: onions, shallots, and garlic.

I think you'll get better info on the allium forum. When you get there, do a search on that forum for what you want. There are tons of posts about growing garlic and onions.

Start garlic from individual cloves, not seeds.
Good luck and enjoy.

o
RE: onions, shallots, and garlic.

Yeah, garlic from cloves are a piece of cake! You can use store bought, just get a few organic garlic bulbs at the grocery, break off the cloves, plant them 2-3 inches deep, 4 inches apart!

Onion seeds I have problem starting for some reason. Not sure why, I have a really green thumb.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here