Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njbiology

Questions: Starting perennials (seed) - 11" x 21" x 2.4" flats

njbiology
9 years ago

Hi,

I intend to grow 100 different species of native perennials in "1020"-type propagation trays.

Questions:
1. Although I know to get the ones with drainage holes for the typical (upland) species, should I get the ones no drainage holes for the wetland species? If not, I could place the wetland species trays (having drainage holes) on the margin of my garden pond.

2. I only want 20 plants to survive per species. The trays are 11" W x 21.37" L x 2.44" D. Can I sow 2 species per tray so that one continuous section of the trays is a monoculture of one species, and the other equal sized section of the tray is a monoculture of another species? I'd like to do this because then I won't need 100 trays for 100 species; I'd only need 50 trays for the 100 species. This would save money not only on trays (which is not the biggest concern), but on purchasing appropriate soil -- which will be the next question. I'm just concerned that 20 seedlings of one species (on one side of the tray) plus 20 seedlings of of another species (on the other side of the tray) for a total of 40 seedlings per flat would result in over-crowding. I do not mind if this slows growth down; my only concern is that this would result in seedlings dying. I would select the 20 most vigorous seedlings per species in situations where more than 20 germinate; the excess seedlings I will plant out around the yard just in case they survive without management.

3. Since I'll need to fill 50 (or even 100 trays) with soil (11" W x 21.37" L x 2.44" D), that would mean about a half yard (or full yard for 100 trays) of soil. I think that getting a truck load of soil would be a bad idea as that "pure black gold" will probably contain plenty of weed seeds, whereas purchasing 2.0 or 2.5 cu. ft. bags of compost soil will also be a bit expensive but may be the best route. I've been advised to purchase 'seed starter' soil... this would be even more expensive; perhaps I could go with the lowest 2" being bags of compost soil, and the upper 0.44" being seed starter soil?

4. I intend to place a shade cloth over the seedlings as they grow and water them as needed. I'm doing this because I spent a lot of money on sowing wildflowers and wild grasses only to find that many of the more expensive species did not germinate (following controlled, indoor stratification) do to issues such as too much un-decomposed woodchips in the soil, and many plants that did germinate succumbed to single days of drought where watering was not supplied. i.e. You spend months watering and you miss a single day or weekend that's particularly hot/dry and lose the entire investment in a given section -- it's my favorite. Trays are the way to go when doing wildflower type restoration on small sites. Just sow the cheap and easy-to-germinate stuff (Rudbeckia, Coreopsis, etc.) out.

I'd like to grow the 40 seedlings per tray/flat for a year, seeding the trays out doors this fall and planting the seedlings out next fall -- following a year's growth. I would have gone the route of using separate cells (trays of 38 plugs) if that didn't mean an increase of water-loss due to space in between plugs... I could have sown a enough seeds per plug to ensure each plug had seedlings, despite the potential for a lower germination rate. Does this sounds viable?

Note: The types of plants (so you have an idea of seedling vigor and size) I intend to grow are all plants that, as per my observation, would grow up to 3' in a growing season (from seed) if presented with optimal conditions, BUT will grow to about only 3" if given poor conditions (low light/moisture). If the seedlings start to really take off, I could scale back the watering just long enough to get them to survive the summer. Once they are established in the trays, they will survive from there even if small... it's getting them past the first year. Size, as far as I've observed, doesn't matter -- death due to drought does.

Thanks! Hopefully this helps a lot of this reading your comments..

Comments (2)

• gringo
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I just can't imagine trying to keep seedlings alive, in trays, for an entire year! I'm starting some now & try to get them in after several months at the most, for the slowest growers. Summer, being easily fatal, as you mentioned, just experience missing one day of watering, during hot sunny skies, low humidity & drying wind & then it can be fatal dessication...

As you noticed in your #4, you're much better off, using a good quality seed starting mixture. Or buy bulk peat moss, mixing in perlite & vermiculite, according to varying moisture level or drainage needs of the species. Not sure how you protect, over winter, to prevent roots from freezing fatatlity.

Keeping in mind, that you ought to sow with two different species in one tray, at least trying to attempt to put together, those with similar water requirements & sunlight or shade needs.

I'm not sure I would even use shade cloth, unless germination calls for darkness to germinate. but place trays, if it is needed, using high shade, from trees with leaves, even if it be that from Pine.
    I think, if you try planting out, long before an entire year has elapsed, stunted in a seed tray if it does survive, your success rate will improve greatly. For example, even those sold at the garden center may have had the benefit of a head start in a greenhouse, but are meant to be planted out, shortly after purchase. Be it autumn, or spring...

& if perennial in nature in particular, they want or need more room to grow their extensive root system, than that of seed starting trays. After all, isn't that why they are usually referred to as 'seed -starting- trays'? hth

• ontheteam
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would winter sow them ..native perennials do really well this way . You can space them by seeding thinly and they can stay in the milk jugs for a whole season cycle.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winter sowing FAQ