Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dreamland zinnia from saved seeds?

Posted by aunt_lou Z5 OH (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 26, 10 at 9:21

I asked this in another forum too but have gotten no response. Was just wondering if Dreamland zinnias will come true from saved seed or revert to parents or what. I only tried Dreamlands this year and love them but don't want to bother with saving seed and planting them next year if they won't be the same. They have big blooms on a shorter plant- - -perfect for many areas. Anyway, am hoping someone here has experimented and can tell me. Thank you so much for any info. :-)

aunt lou

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dreamland zinnia from saved seeds?

I rarly if ever save seed..... its not worth the chance I will get a flower color/size i do not want

o

You have received responses on the other forum. Sometimes, even if you check on the box to send replies to your email, it doesn't happen. Go into the Annuals Forum to see what's up.

Since you are very specific that you want subsequent generations of the exact Dreamland phenotype, it's been suggested that you will not be happy with the results when you plant second generation hybrid seeds. Too much genetic information in those seeds, whether they've been cross pollinated or not.

o

F2 seed from F1 hybrids usually do not breed true. They do revert. But plant them anyway, you can get some interesting crosses.

o

I want to thank everyone for your input. I have decided to wait and order fresh seeds from the 2011 catalogues when they come out. The shorter ht. with the big bright blooms is worth it for me. Thanks again! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here