Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lee676

''Temporary'' Grass Seed for Patching Bare Spots

lee676
13 years ago

I am trying to fill a few bare spots in my yard, typically one to five square feet in size. There are alot of products made for this purpose and I'm not sure which is best to use. There are small bags of grass seed that promise fast germination to quickly and "temporarily" fill bare spots - what does that mean? Will the grass not survive until next season even if it sprouts quickly?

There are products like Scotts PatchMaster that include mulch and fertilizer along with the seed that are a bit more expensive. No reference to "temporary" on the packaging. This is alot less expensive than Scott's EZ Seed or Pennington Smart Seed Combination seed/mulch/fertilizer products, but I don't understand the difference.

Then there are "contractor's mix" and "landscaper's mix" grass seed that are sold in larger bags, are still fairly inexpensive, and promise fast germination. But is the eventual grass going to be as high quality (in terms of resistance to drought, heavy rains, extreme heat and cold, traffic, and insect damage) as standard grass seed products? Around here (Washington D.C. area, where temps range from blistering-hot summers to subfreezing winter), tall fescoe seems to be the predominant grass seed type sold, with Kentucky bluegrass and Kentucky 31 (which I never hear good things about) also available. I don't like varieties that go dormant (brown) in the wintertime. I can't say I care for tall fescoe though - the small, thin, vertical blades get matted down when walked upon. It's early fall, which along with early spring is the best time to grow here. What should I do?

thx.

Comments (5)