Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agkistrodon

Castilleja coccinea and sulphur ?

agkistrodon
10 years ago

Hello.

I'd like to try growing Indian Paintbrushes from seed. So first, has anyone else done this and been successful? I understand that they are hemiparasitic and so I thought I'd try a few seeds in a meadowish area outside (direct sow) and maybe try some wintersown in a milk jug after hacking up a piece of grass to damage the roots....does this sound plausible?

Second, I read that if you wintersow, you can get a jumpstart by putting seeds in a bag w/a tiny bit of water, adding sulphur so seeds don't rot and putting the bag in the fridge. However, I have never handled sulphur....do I buy the powdered variety and shake some directly into the bag w/the seeds? Is there a spray form?

Thanks for any and all input!

Comments (2)

• yiorges-z5il
    10 years ago

SOAK SEED IN WATER FOR 12 HOURS THEN STORE AT 40f FOR 60 DAYS.... Then lightly cover the seed soil temp for germination 65-70F & takes
    As you said this is parasitic plant & needs a host

• agkistrodon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank-you for your help. I will sow the seeds (after cold strat.) w/grama seeds. I have cleared a patch outside in my "meadow" and will cover the seeds w/burlap 'til next spring.