Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vidyut_gw

Seeds missing

vidyut
9 years ago

This is going to sound crazy, but my seeds are going missing. Not all of them, but enough for me to be dead certain I didn't "forget" to plant them.

I'm germinating seeds in coco peat (rinsed to the nth degree). One seed to each small plastic cup. Growing for a balcony garden, so I am growing very few seeds at a time and there is no possibility I forgot one cup among a hundred or some such.

As far as I am aware, I'm not letting them dry or get infected. Some seeds just didn't germinate - others were fine. So I pulled out the soil to see to what extent they grew before failing, but there were NO seeds. With the tomatoes, I thought the seeds are small, so I probably didn't find them if they had decayed. But cucumber and squash? how can that big a seed vanish without a trace? The top of the soil was undisturbed. I was not able to find any maggots or etc. No visible fungus at least. Even if an insect got through from the holes at the bottom, surely there would be a half eaten seed? The holes aren't big enough for cucumber seeds to exit! In fact, the conditions were the same as for the other seeds doing brilliantly.

Anyone know what this is? I am quite puzzled where they went.

Comments (2)