Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dsd2682

Snapdragons from seed (when will they bloom?)

SoFL Rose z10
10 years ago

Hi All
I planted some snapdragons last year at various times during the fall and winter thinking they needed cool weather to germinate (since I live in South Florida). I noticed however that no matter how early I started them, none of them bloomed until March.
The ones that performed the best were actually the ones I planted in January which bloomed wonderfully in march and are STILL blooming. I planted these in a bed with amended soil however so that may have been the key.
I would like to grow more of the same kind (Aromas) and I was wondering if I start them now (in pretty warm weather) will they bloom earlier? Or will they just sit there and not bloom until spring? (the ones I stared in Nov, Dec, Jan did not bloom until March, but I'm wondering if the warm weather will get them going faster this time of year).
If so I wont start them until January. I can grow another batch of warm climate flowers in the bed and then do the snaps in the winter. But if they will bloom earlier, I'd love to have them. They seem to last all year even during our hot summer which is amazing to me!
In short, my question is, do Snaps require spring to bloom or will they bloom after a certain time if the weather is warm enough (and here the weather is always warm enough).

Comments (3)