Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cauliflower Help

Posted by worldgirl84 7a (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 20, 11 at 11:39

So this is my first year planting cauliflower seeds. I found some that grow to about 2 to 4 lbs each when mature. I planted 20 seeds and got three up. The three that are up are doing very well. I had the same problem with cabbage and found out that the soil needs extra phosphorus for cabbage is it the same for cauliflower? What has been everyone else's germination rate with cauliflower?

I'm going to plant some extras this week to see now that it has cooled off outside if it does better.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cauliflower Help

Since no one has answered this I'll just ask a couple of questions. Firstly, is this the right time of year to sow cauliflower in your zone and have you chosen a variety designed for autumn sowing? Secondly are you sowing straight into the ground? If so are you watching for slugs etc? All brassicas usually have very high germination rates and 3 out of 20 is not a good yield. I'd suspect something going fairly wrong somewhere. Before worrying about phosphorus I'd check I was growing suitable varieties for my climate at the correct season of the year. Germination shouldn't really be affected by minerals - only subsequent growth.

o
RE: Cauliflower Help

GERMINATION REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE.....LIGHTLY COVER SEED SOIL TEMP 70F FOR GERMINATION. TAKES 7-14 DAYS TO GERMINATE.
& YES GERMINATION RATE IS USUALLY HIGH 99% OR SO.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here