Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cardarlin

Has anyone used 'American Seed' company's seeds?

cardarlin
13 years ago

I was at Wal-mart today and saw a rack of seeds. I have been thinking about growing my own annuals from seed next year. Give me something to do while I impatiently wait for late spring. They had 'American Seed' brand and it was super cheap. But I'm wondering what the quality is like. I don't see many reviews on the internet and I searched the forum and didn't see anything. Just curious if anyone has used this brand and if they had decent success?

Thanks

Comments (22)

• bugbite
    13 years ago

I tryed over 60 types of seeds this year, bought and ordered from many places. My conclusion is that I will not buy from the big stores and only order from Geoseed (no "s").
    Best germination, best prices and best people over the phone. But that's just me. Bob

• taxonomist
    13 years ago

I believe that you'll find that the American seeds are about like almost all packaged seeds. Some germinate very well; some just seem to languish. Since they'er so inexpensive, just plant a few more seeds than you usually plant.

• tkhooper
    13 years ago

I've planted them and had no trouble at all. Just make sure you get fresh ones. But that's true of any seeds. Freshest is best.

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

My experience is that you don't get many seeds, the varieties are quite common, and the germination rate varies widely from good to none germinating.

I've bought them for 10 cents a pack and you only need to get a couple to germinate for that price.

But with the time it takes and the cost of potting soil, etc, I'd rather have more reliable seeds and I'd rather have seeds for exactly the variety that I want.

I got some really nice zinnias from American Seeds this year. They all germinated and the plants are pretty. The cauliflower and kohlrabi from the same company had zero percent germination. I've grown tomatoes from their seeds and they were fine.

I'm not above picking up a packet of their seeds if I am walking by and see something that I have been looking for.

• countrycarolyn
    13 years ago

I have used their seeds, and I have had good success with them. They are extremely cheap, but just as stated above they usually contain seeds that are very common. With that said I love those wildflower mixes, (I love daisies though) they have all kind of flowers in them which most are perennial. Some 2nd year bloomers some not. One year I got the most beautiful poppies out of a wildflower pack, and I didn't save the seed and I have been unable to find anymore packs like that.

Another place I discovered that has some good seed variety is t's online all seed packs are $1.00. I think shipping and handling for 19 packs is like $4.25 not bad if you ask me. I provided the link below, she has a great selection of seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: T's Seed Sale

• cardarlin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for everyones feed back. I had boughten about 23 packs of various seeds. Some wildflower mixes too like someone suggested above. I'm anxious to see if they germinate. I guess for the price ya can't go wrong. We'll wait and see what spring brings. :) Thanks again.

• gideon7700
    8 years ago

Last spring I bought seed for zuchinni and yellow squash, planted them, and lo and behold I have a garden full of pumpkins and watermelons!!!!

• montano446
    8 years ago

I live in Southern California and had great results with American Seed. I purchased the boxes of Wild Flowers and Marigolds. The wild flowers bloomed throughout spring and summer, the Marigolds are still growing strong from last spring. I added some photos.

• hhendrix27
    8 years ago

American seed is part of a group of seed companies that is owned by plantation products. You may be more familiar with their line of Ferry More seeds. These are the same company.

I just planted American Seeds Beefsteak tomatoes as well as their cucumbers. I was actually impressed by both, especially the cucumbers. I had several hearty 6" tall cucumber plants in just 3 weeks. The tomatoes were a bit slower, but still not bad.

• hhendrix27
    8 years ago

Correction: You have probably heard of Ferry-Morse.

They also own other popular gardening brands such as Jiffy - peat pots, seed starter kits, etc.

• kerstinstarzer
    6 years ago

For those of you who used the wildflower blends... do you have any tips distinguishing between the seedlings and weeds? Any pictures of the seedlings emerging? Thanks!!

• HU-909152
    6 years ago

I was surprised at how nice the plants from these seeds are. They all seemed to germinate. My Beefsteak Tomato quickly grew to 3 feet but 12 days later, it has now stopped & is loading up with tomatoes. There are 25 tomatoes & another 50 flowers.
    The Kohlrabi is very pretty & has grown to tennis ball size.
    I'm fertilizing with compost tea.

• Shirley Smith-Russell
    6 years ago

Vaughn thats a good boy scout! :) I used a old seed pack of mustard spinach not expecting anything but it was 50/50 it was dated 2016 by American Seeds.

• HU-145649737
    5 years ago

Purchased broccoli and cauliflower seeds for fall planting. The broccoli turned out to be tomatoes and the cauliflower are pink petunia. I am very discussed with America Seed. This was my first purchase and will be the last.

• Maxim Smirnov
    3 years ago

These are the sprouts of Ferry Morse's wildflower mix. I started them to see how well they would sprout. Pretty well if you ask me

• Elsie Cash
    3 years ago

I have used American Seeds for years. They are just as good if not better then the $3 or $4 a pack seeds.

• booberry85
    3 years ago

I did an unofficial comparison test maybe 10 years back comparing Burpee seeds to American Seed, similar varieties. I actually had better germination rates with American Seed. I bought some this year. The American Seed cayennes were the first to germinate of my hot peppers.

• HU-548261401
    2 years ago

I planted Sunny Area Wildflower seed by American Seed..what came up amongst the various flowers were plants witih tiny burrs which are not fun to get off our dog never had them before, so whats in the seed produced this.. dont be me, do not use this seed!

• HU-529028059
    last year

I purchased a packet of morning glory seed and upon opening the packet I found three (3) seeds! WOW! What a rip off. I'll never buy American Seed's packets again!

• Simona Catalui
    last year

They are good seeds. I had 100% germination on all their seeds, including vegetables. I usually buy them at Dollar Tree with 4 for 1$. The only difference from other brands is there are less seeds per packet. But I don't need more.

• L. K
    11 months ago

I bought American Seed orange Tithonia/Mexican Sunflower seeds but the description and planting instructions are for Sunflower Solar Power F1. So now I have seedlings that need to be transplanted, but I don't know if I"ll be getting the orange Tithonia I had hoped for in my color palette or more sunflowers that I don't want or maybe something else entirely.