Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Has anyone used 'American Seed' company's seeds?

Posted by cardarlin 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 14, 10 at 11:54

I was at Wal-mart today and saw a rack of seeds. I have been thinking about growing my own annuals from seed next year. Give me something to do while I impatiently wait for late spring. They had 'American Seed' brand and it was super cheap. But I'm wondering what the quality is like. I don't see many reviews on the internet and I searched the forum and didn't see anything. Just curious if anyone has used this brand and if they had decent success?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Has anyone used 'American Seed' company's seeds?

I tryed over 60 types of seeds this year, bought and ordered from many places. My conclusion is that I will not buy from the big stores and only order from Geoseed (no "s").
Best germination, best prices and best people over the phone. But that's just me. Bob

o

I believe that you'll find that the American seeds are about like almost all packaged seeds. Some germinate very well; some just seem to languish. Since they'er so inexpensive, just plant a few more seeds than you usually plant.

o

I've planted them and had no trouble at all. Just make sure you get fresh ones. But that's true of any seeds. Freshest is best.

o

My experience is that you don't get many seeds, the varieties are quite common, and the germination rate varies widely from good to none germinating.

I've bought them for 10 cents a pack and you only need to get a couple to germinate for that price.

But with the time it takes and the cost of potting soil, etc, I'd rather have more reliable seeds and I'd rather have seeds for exactly the variety that I want.

I got some really nice zinnias from American Seeds this year. They all germinated and the plants are pretty. The cauliflower and kohlrabi from the same company had zero percent germination. I've grown tomatoes from their seeds and they were fine.

I'm not above picking up a packet of their seeds if I am walking by and see something that I have been looking for.

o

I have used their seeds, and I have had good success with them. They are extremely cheap, but just as stated above they usually contain seeds that are very common. With that said I love those wildflower mixes, (I love daisies though) they have all kind of flowers in them which most are perennial. Some 2nd year bloomers some not. One year I got the most beautiful poppies out of a wildflower pack, and I didn't save the seed and I have been unable to find anymore packs like that.

Another place I discovered that has some good seed variety is t's online all seed packs are $1.00. I think shipping and handling for 19 packs is like $4.25 not bad if you ask me. I provided the link below, she has a great selection of seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: T's Seed Sale

o

Thanks for everyones feed back. I had boughten about 23 packs of various seeds. Some wildflower mixes too like someone suggested above. I'm anxious to see if they germinate. I guess for the price ya can't go wrong. We'll wait and see what spring brings. :) Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here