Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaesgarden

kochia scoparia

kaesgarden
9 years ago

Good morning fellow gardeners,

I'm been readily putting together my list for winter / spring sowing and I've purchased a load of these seeds as i plan on having a boarder of these bushes. Does anyone on here have any experience with these seeds and soil type.

The best information i could find on soil was combination which wasn't overly helpful.

Some sites I've read say partial sun but the instructions i have say full or partial.

What would be your highest recommendations?

Thank you :)

Scarlet

Comments (4)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

Plan B, Scarlet, Plan B. ;)

A listed quarantined invasive in the state of Washington. You need an alternative plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: kochia scoparia

• kaesgarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks morz8,

So disappointed! I purchased these seeds ages ago and they've been sitting in my kitchen just buying time. it's really quite strange that when i was looking at flowers and seeds deciding what i want every site would have a list at the bottom stating ( cant not tell to Wa state or so forth ) Frustrated that i wasted my money on a product that i can't use and sad that the place i purchased didn't have any warnings because i wouldn't of waste my time or money,

I didn't even know these lists existed that's how new at gardening i am.

The question is now what to do with the seeds, should i chuck them in the trash? Or should i try to trade them onto a state that it's not invasive in? They are nice looking plants.

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

I feel your pain, Scarlet. I loved trumpet vine and always meant to plant some - until I moved into a house where someone has planted trumpet vine along our common back fence. This is about 80' from their back door and up a dry, rocky hill from their perspective. Peering over the fence I see no sign of it being invasive on their side of the fence.

However, it is constantly sprouting up into our yard and when we moved in here (its a rental) it was all over the shed, and pulling it off the shed we found that its rootlets had damaged the shed siding.

It is a constant battle to control the shoots, which come up as much as 30 to 40' away from the mothership, even here in this arid near-desert region. I hate to think what it would do in an area that gets 30+ inches of rain per year instead of our measly 7"!

Come to find out it is classified as a noxious weed in some states due to its invasive and destructive habits. It can quite literally pull down houses and trees if left unchecked.

And yet I STILL find it constantly recommended as a bee/hummingbird/butterfly feeder plant! With few or no warnings about how invasive and hard to control it is. Even Roundup doesn't much faze it.

I think it should be declared a noxious weed in every state in the country! OMG I hate the stuff! I am SO glad I never actually got around to planting any, leaving behind neighbors to curse my name!

This post was edited by zensojourner on Sat, Sep 27, 14 at 15:35

• kaesgarden
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, what a nightmare zensojourner, i can literally feel your frustration from here and rightfully so. I have a Hedera helix vine that spreads along the back of my garden and twines around my fence and my tree's. This stuff is insanely invasive, it took me all summer to clear just my side of the fence and i haven't had time to do the back. Then i have Ivy which ran rampaged twinning it's self around everything choking the life out of other smaller tree's which I've cut most if not all away. We haven't lived too terribly long in our new home which is purchased but we knew it would require a bit of elbow grease but now that it's fall. It's safe to say my green thumb is exhausted! There are several roots where I've had to take saws to get through them. It seems the previous owners never did much with the property.

As horrible as all that sounds, the absolute worst is the holly that someone planted flush to the house and i can honestly say i haven't been able to get it all up.... yet! That is a painful work in progress!

Hang in there, it can only get better right?

Haha, i hope!