Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alpine Strawberry Question Please

Posted by tumblingtomatoes fl ,space coast (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 7, 10 at 12:28

Hi everyone,
Still fairly new at all of this so I have a question......
The kids saw pictures of Alpine Strawberries in a book at the library recently & are fascinated with these little plants & fruits. Can anyone tell me if they'd grow in Florida? When to plant? varieties to try? Are they tart? Sweet? which are sweeter in flavor?

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alpine Strawberry Question Please

I've got some Red ones growing this year. Started from seeds in late winter, transplanted in late May. Not a lot of fruit yet, I think it takes a couple of years before they are real productive, plus we had one of the worst growing seasons ever. Fantastic sweet taste - one small Alpine berry seems to have as much total flavor as a large, regular type. No reason they would not grow in Florida but they usually prefer partial shade.

If you buy seeds, make sure to put them in a freezer for 3-4 weeks before sowing. Also, my germination rates (two years, two types - yellow and red) were not good, but there are a huge amount of seeds per packet.

Mike

o

Thanks Mike! We can't wait to try them out. They look quite adorable. Thanks for the tip on pitting them in the freezer.

o

I have a nice bed of Alpine Strawberry(Reugen), and I also put them in containers. Nice flavor. Every year I save some berries for their seeds and start a dozen or two plants. To save seeds pick ripe strawberries, slice them in half and let them dry naturally. The seeds can then be gently rubbed off the dried berry halves. Easy to start - cold treating seeds helps. I transplant my new plants into containers and get lots of nice bugless and slugless berries every season from those new plants (keep them watered). Kids love finding and picking the berries when they are off the ground in containers. Like finding little treasures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here