Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bougainvillea

Posted by kapper (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 9, 10 at 12:35

Hi, has anyone had any success with growing Bougainvillea
from seed? If you have, how did you go about it?
I live in the U.K., and at the moment several pods are still on my plant, although the bracts have gone really dry, and faded looking. The pods look as if they have swollen somewhat, so l am hopeful that there may be seed/seeds inside. I don't know how long it takes for the seeds to ripen sufficiently to be gathered, or how to tell when is the right time to do so. Also, if there are any, would they have to be stored in a particular way before planting, and when would they have to be planted?

Also, what are baggies that l keep reading about on here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bougainvillea

The seed do not require any pre-treatment lightly cover with soil soil temperature 18-21C for germination which takes 28-55 days.
A "Baggie is a small plastic bag which can be sealed... often used to transport a sandwich from home to lunch at work

o
RE: Bougainvillea

I am impressed with your growing Bougies in the UK. They require so much sun to bloom well and are so tender to frost, they only do their best here in California along the coast. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here