Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seedlings doing OK or burning?

Posted by reticulatedspline none (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 12 at 13:15

Just started a tray of tomato and bell pepper seedlings a little under a week ago. Used rapid rooter, had a cover over them. Took the cover off last night as I started seeing the first signs of the first set of true leaves coming up. Had a T5 flourescent over them since they started sprouting for 16 hours/day (picture of setup here http://i.imgur.com/BSibsh.jpg). Haven't needed to rewater as all of the rapid rooter cubes have stayed moist throughout (and still are as of this morning). At this point the cotyledons leaves are starting to curl and look dry like so http://i.imgur.com/mWWeV.jpg. Light is about 6 inches away, starter cubes are moist. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?

Here is a link that might be useful: Close-up of seedlings

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seedlings doing OK or burning?

No one I know are starting tomato or pepper seeds in early September. Where are you? I have never used your planting system, but from your picture, your mix has shrunk and pulled away from the pot sides. Looks like it must be made of peat, and once dry will be difficult to accept water. It is difficult to believe the cover was just removed and the mix has lost that much water. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here