Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trouble with oregano and rudbeckia seedlings

Posted by jardinerowa 9b (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 13:31

Hello,

I'm in the San Diego area growing rudbeckia and oregano seedlings outside in small 4" and 2" respectively in breathable pots.
I know it's really an odd time since it's so warm to do seedlings, but we have such a long summer that they do well if I can at least get them to grow more!
I know the oregano are slow but I occasionally lose a seedling to underwatering, overwatering, or due to the simple act of watering. I grow other seedlings but the problem of these is both Rudbeckia and Oregano seedlings are so low to the ground that when watering them, the water often goes right over them. I don't want to give them damping off, or any mildew.
I've had bad luck with watering from below with other seedlings but I will try on these. I know I need to let the Oregano dry out but too dry and and they wilt.
My plan is once they get big enough to move them to their permanent containers.
Any suggestions on how to not lose these? Thanks!

Z

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trouble with oregano and rudbeckia seedlings

"dAMPING OFF" is usually a result of poor ot no air circulation>
As for watering use a watering can with a small opening spout.... this allows directed flow of water & minimal damage to seedling. & you will be able to control the amout of water each receives.

o

Thanks for the reply! My rudbeckia seedlings are growing. They are still small but at least are growing and feel that's good. I'm using Jiffy Pots and bottom watering only, this way I never get water or dirt on the leaves.
My oregano seedlings died but that was my fault..I forgot to water them once when we had our heat wave and they died. I feel more confident that this time it'll work though. Thanks again!

Z

o

Seedlings need a steady supply of water even if they prefer drier soil when full grown. Use good potting mix so that the soil will absorb water from the bottom. If your soil does not absorb water, then you're not using a good mix. Outdoors, mix in a lot of finished compost with the soil and you should have no problem with absorbency. Growing in pots outdoors requires watching them two or 3 times a day for water needs while they are seedlings.

o

What kind of problems have you had with watering from below? That is the ideal method for young seedlings and usually quite easy to do. Perhaps as Susan mentioned you are using a poor quality soil-less potting mix?

Dave

o

I waas just going to say the same thing Dave. If you are having issues watering anything from above then water from below.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here