Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fafard Seed Starter Mix Bad?

Posted by Roll_Bones SC (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 14:37

I got a bag of Fafard seed starting mix from the seconds at Fafard the plant in Anderson SC.
They sell mixes at very low prices that do not meet production standards. I have had no problems with the potting mixes.
I have had this bag opened in my basement for almost 8 years.
Can a mix like this go bad?

The reason I ask is. I have trouble starting seeds in it. I planted two flats. One sprouted almost 100% and the other flat, zero sprouted. Same seeds, same medium, same amount of water and light.

I had issues with starting seeds before, but I never thought about the mix. Is it possible something is wrong with it.
I am familiar with horticulture and seed starting.

Thanks in Advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fafard Seed Starter Mix Bad?

Very interesting. So the same bag gave you 100% germination and zero germination? I would think it wasn't the mix....seems to be an outside influence. This may sound funny, but did a cat pee in one flat :) ??? Did one flat get the medium that was on top of the bag? Maybe something dropped into the bag....could the bag have received any chemical spray over it?

o

Very interesting. So the same bag gave you 100% germination and zero germination? I would think it wasn't the mix....seems to be an outside influence. This may sound funny, but did a cat pee in one flat :) ??? Did one flat get the medium that was on top of the bag? Maybe something dropped into the bag....could the bag have received any chemical spray over it?

o

Cat pee is possible, but not likely. I guess I should get some new mix and see if that corrects the issue.

I just did not want to waste this big bag of seed starter mix.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here