Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get seeds from zinnias? Are they true to color?

Posted by HighlanderNorth Mid Atlantic (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 3, 11 at 15:32

I'm going to let some of my zinnia flowers stay on the plant til they produce seeds, but I dont know how long that will take or how to remove them once they are ready. How do you know when they are ready?

Do they need to be wintered over outside in cool weather, or are they ready to grow immediately?

I'm growing tall zinnias of 7 different colors. Will the seeds be true to color, will they be mixed colors?

Thanks....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get seeds from zinnias? Are they true to color?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 4, 11 at 12:42

You'll have zinnias from sowing their seed, that much you can count on. ;)

Not likely you will get exactly the same height or color range from all seedlings, they will have cross pollinated -
if your plants were grown from hybrid seed, they may not have come true even if you were growing only one color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo ripe pod and zinnia seeds

o

There are many discussions about zinnias on the annuals and seed saving forums, if you'd like to read them.

o

I usually get annoyed when someone says go look somewhere else but this time I think the suggestion to go to Annuals - GardenWeb is a good suggestion. There seem to be a lot of zinnia enthusiast cluster there.

o

I don't usually tell people to "go look somewhere else."

There is so much info about zinnias, a most unusual plant, on the other forums, I would have felt compelled to paste several entire threads here to answer OP's questions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here