Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arleeny2

growing a Royal Poinciana from seeds

arleeny2
16 years ago

I just wanted to know if there was any sites where I can find info on growing Royal Poinciana's from seeds. My grandmother has a tree that I have grown up admiring! She gave me seeds but I have been trying to find info on the web and had no luck. If anyone knows any info on soil type, ph and watering info I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Comments (7)

• georgez5il
    16 years ago

Soak seed in water for 4 hours then store at 40F for 12 weeks then lightly cover the seed soil temp60-65F & takes 12-18 days to germinate. pH of soil 5.8 to 6.8

• arleeny2
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Georgez5il for your helpful information.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I just soaked the seeds in water overnight and put them in a container of potting soil. I left the pot outside and they germinated in about a week. This was in July. Our daytime temps were in the high 90's, evening temps were high 70's to low 80's. They grow pretty fast and are already a couple feet tall. Unfortunately I have to protect them over the winter in my zone.
    Karyn

• gee8ch
    16 years ago

Karyn: Fancy meeting you here!!! I was searching for info about buying Poinciana seed and about how to grow them. I should have checked with you first. (should have known you had one of these, too lol) ;0)I want to plant in my front yard. How do you think they would do in Z9B heat and cold Z8-9? Do you feed them? Lots of questions, as usual! TIA Gloria

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Hi Gloria,
    I haven't done anything special with mine so far. I will say it wasn't happy when it first came inside but has finally adjusted. I don't know if it can take any freezing temps. I also don't know if a frost would just kil the above ground growth or not. I think it's certainly worth a try. It's a beautiful tree when in bloom. I've been feeding mine a balanced fertilizer, a little kelp and ST. I'm not feeding it at all while it's inside for the winter. I don't know for sure but it doesn't seem to be a particularly fussy tree, especially if you are growing it in a warm zone.
    Karyn

• mrsspade667
    13 years ago

Hi...I have read through the different ways to grow a RP from a seed. I got 2 seed pods that have about 8-10 seed in each so I have alot of seeds to play with. I have been on the internet trying to find the best method to grow them. I have read that if you cut a "small" piece from the bottom it make the seed able to grow easier. Also, a method of boiling 1- boil water
    2- take the boiling water off the stove
    3- put the seeds in the boiling water
    4- after a couple of minutes add cold water until the temperature drops to 110 degres F (45 C): the water should feel very hot but not burning
    5- leave the seeds in the water overnight
    6- after 24 hours the membrane covering the seeds peels by itself
    7- put in moist motting soil
    8- the seedlings show up in around a week or less
    I have enough seeds to try all these ways but I was wondering how "karyn1" seeds are doing and any other help or comments! thanks, M

• Bsewal01
    13 years ago

All I do before actually sowing the seed is stratify it with a nail file. It has worked from experience for me.