Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ocelaris

New native-ish perennial bed, which are good seed candidates?

ocelaris
10 years ago

So we purchased a new house about a year ago and I've been tearing out the 50 year old foundation planting shrubs and I'm ready to start my new perennial beds. I'm aiming for lots of native pollinators and I have a lot space to plant stuff, so after putting in the sprinkler system and lawn myself, my budget is shot, and I can't spend a fortune on every plant that I want, so I'm ready to start a bunch of plants from seed and cross my fingers!

I've had a lot of success with perennials but my seeding adventures have been limited to vegetables and a few failed delphiniums, and other perennials. So I'm aiming for winter sowing follow the FAQ on here.

Could you tell me which plants are worth purchasing root stock or plants and which are worth growing in trays so I can have quite a few of them?

For example I've heard Baptisia and Polemonium are legumes, and can be difficult to grow (even being innoculated), but I've had my Asclepias Tuberosa Volunteer at our old house, so I'm fine with those... Also anything relatively "cheap" that i can buy in a flat I woludn't be opposed to purchasing as a seedling or root stock. But I have a lot of space to fill so seeds would be the easiest way for me to get there.

Any advice which species might not be suitable for seed starting would be appreciated.

I'm looking mostly at seeds that Prarie Moon Nursery ( prariemoon.com ) offers, as my assumption cultivars which are "native" would usually have better pollen/nectar potential than hybridized varieties. I'm not set with these specific varieties except they are offered in as seeds.

Thanks, Bill

Coreopsis Lance Leaf Coreopsis - lanceolata
Baptistia Australis - Wild Blue Indigo
Baptistia bracteata - Cream Wild Indigo
Asclepias Tuberosa - Butterfly Weed
liatris Dwarf Blazing Star
Liatris Button Blazing Star
helenium autumnale
Agastache Foeniculum Anise Hyssop
Amorpha canescens Lead Plant
Campanula Americana - Tall Bellflower
Eupatorium Joe Pye Weed
Lobelia Siphilitica Great Blue Lobelia
Lobelia Cardinalis - Cardinal Flower
Echinacea TBD
Ratibida Yellow Cone Flower (Pinnata)
Polemonium Reptans - Jacob's Ladder
Geranium Geranium maculatum (wild Geranium)
Aster oblongifolius Aromatic Aster
Aster cordifolius Heart-leaved Aster

Comments (3)