Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seed saving with bottle gentians? Need advice

Posted by kwolfe0 7a (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 16:22

Hello all,

I'm a new gardener, and a new seed saver too, and I was hoping for some advice about how to save bottle gentian seed. I read some advice on another forum about stratification and I was unsure at what point in the process that should happen as it didn't seem like it was very long-term storage. But maybe I am thinking too much in terms of "plants must be sown after frost" considering this is a native and should instead be thinking about overwintering them somehow. But I'm such a novice in any case I need some detailed advice.

Advice? Basically, I have one bottle gentian now growing in my yard which I purchased as a seedling last spring and I want to do what's necessary to have more next year. Save seeds? Divide the plant now?

Thanks for your advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seed saving with bottle gentians? Need advice

I didn't know what species 'Bottle Gentian' was, so I Googled. Instructions for propagation are at the link. If your winters are 40 degrees or less for 3 months this sounds like a prime subject for winter sowing. There's a Forum here on GW for that technique.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gentiana andrewsii

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here