Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to begin? -- Veggies in S. Florida

Posted by hilary_10a 10a (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 24, 11 at 16:26

OK -- about to plant my first real garden, mostly just messed around before (experimented sounds better)...

I'm a little late getting started, but it is time to begin fall gardening in South Florida. I've thrown a few store-bought seedlings into my grow pots (I use the carbon felt-like ones) to make up for lost time. However, there are still a lot of varieties of veggies that I'd like to start from seed. The problem is this: it seems to be too warm outside (I made a moldy mess trying to propagate sweet potatoes this summer) and I don't have the room inside.

So my question is, am I going to have trouble direct-sowing cucumbers/zucchini/watermelon/tomato/pumpkin/peppers outdoors? If so, and I can find the space inside, do seeds need real lighting/tray setups to get started? I'm trying to keep my costs down and don't want to invest in a whole system yet. And, can I transplant seedlings a few days after sprouting or do I have to wait until they are 6" seedlings like I see at the store?

Any suggestions for an amateur would be helpful...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to begin? -- Veggies in S. Florida

The only one I would start outside the garden is tomatoes. The rest you can direct sow. We plant 3 seeds together for all of them. Just don't let them dry out. You have to water daily until they get well established. You need to wait until the seedlings are bigger to transplant them. I think they would die otherwise. I like to wait until they have their second set of true leaves. Good luck! Happy growing!

o
heat is good

We always plant the seeds in the heat. It was in the 90's here when we started ours from seeds. They need the heat to grow faster.

o

You may want to check out the Florida gardening forum.

o

You might find this helpful.

http://miami-dade.ifas.ufl.edu/lawn_and_garden/GROWING VEGETABLES IN SOUTH FLORIDA.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: Easy to grow vegetables

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here