Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is It A Bad Idea To Grow Two Trees Very Close To Each Other?

Posted by mccommas z5CT (johnray67@hotmail.com) on
Sat, Sep 22, 12 at 17:13

I have a pair of sister trees harvested from the same apple and I want to plant them together just as they are now.

Good Idea/ Bad Idea ?

Will they adjust and compliment each other or will this hurt one or both of them?

One is bigger than the other as you can see.

I love the new upload option BTW. About time!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is It A Bad Idea To Grow Two Trees Very Close To Each Other?

I would separate them as early as possible. When they grow bigger their branches will rub against each other and can get easily broken.

o

It is possible to do but will require a lot of pruning to keep small, really more like fruit bushes than trees. Starting from a seed from an apple as you have, you will have no advantage of a dwarfing rootstock, and the resulting tree will be a vigorous grower attempting to reach 30 feet. You should also not expect the resulting fruit to resemble the apple the seed came from. And it could take up to 10 years to get fruit. Al

o

Oh yes I know about the not true from seed thing. Thanks guys for your insight.

o

Depends on what effect you are looking for. There are plenty of examples of groups, circles, pairs of trees which have grown up together and look very good. I was just looking at a group of 200 year old beeches in my local park, 5 I think, which stand in a circle and form one giant crown. But it may depend on your climate and whether you are prone to snow load, high winds etc.

Not my own picture but this is the group I mean.

Here is a link that might be useful: Group of beeches

o

Here in the Redwood Empire of California, when the original redwood is harvested, usually leaving a stump with a diameter of 4 to 8 feet, three to five new trees will grow around the edges. If a grove was originally dense, the second growth will be even more so. In the case of fruit trees, the tree must be kept open to sunlight or the amount of fruit, will be limited. Al

o

Neat to know Al.

o

You could investigate espalier/arborsculpture techniques to help you guide these trees so they grow to your liking and desired shape, not just willy-nilly in whatever way they want.

Apple is known for its' ability to inosculate, so as the trunks expand, they will likely fuse together and appear as a single tree/trunk.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wiki article on inosculation

o

It is a bad idea, as with Crape Myrtles they will rub together and they could possibly break.

o

I agree with separating them asap. Doing so will let them both grow without competing for nutrients and space. Separation will also help if either of them has any ailments.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here