Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mangrove propogation steps / help please

Posted by abacoian 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 11, 10 at 18:07

Hi all!

Me and my wife are at the beach for one week:) We went out on the beach and I found several mangrove seeds washed up on the beach. I am excited and plan to collect several to take when we leave. Our home is only a two hour drive away, what's the best way to keep them on the ride home (or here for a week) and the best, easiest way to plant / germinate them?

Thank you so much!

Ian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mangrove propogation steps / help please

If you don't have the wet environment that they need to grow in, then there is not much sense even trying. If you do have the wetland, it will take a long time to produce a tree of any size.

The best way to store any seeds is to dry them in at room temperature out of the sun. Put yours in an envelope to transport home.

As for germination--you'd have to ask someone down there--like an arboretum. I don't think there are many here who grow them

o
RE: mangrove propagation steps / help please

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 12, 10 at 11:42

Drying the seeds is probably not the best way to go here -

Not that I grow them, but in looking for you I find these are really interesting seeds, and they begin to germinate while still attached to the tree before they are dispersed into the water. I find too though that if you are 2 hours from the ocean, you may only be able to sow and grow them on in an environment like a salt water aquarium so it's not likely they are going to make a successful keepsake from your trip.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here