Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pokeweed Help Needed :-)

Posted by GaltoniaLover Washington (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 18:20

Hello, I harvested all of my Pokeweed seeds this past season. I dried all of the seeds and now I have been fermenting them for a few days. I am going to propagate my seeds in my indoor grow room over this fall/winter. Please help! Does anyone know how long the vernalization period is for Pokeweed Seeds? Also, does anyone know how long a Pokeweed ROOT need to be vernalized before I can start to grow the ROOTS in my indoor grow room? Many thanks for all/any ideas and help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pokeweed Help Needed :-)

Hi Galtonia, I have never purposely sown Phytolacca americana, aka Pokeweed, because the birds sow it very well for me! I have literally hundreds of them in the back yard, and am constantly pulling them out.

My guess is this seed requires between 1-3 months of vernalization or "cold stratification". It would probably be perfect for winter-sowing. I am not sure though what you mean by Pokeweed roots needing vernalizing. The roots are very thick and tuberous and quite hardy in my zone 5.

Where are you planning to plant your seedlings?

o

What are you planning to do with your poke?

o

I loved poke greens as a kid in Oklahoma, but now find it as one of my most hated weeds. Still have an occasional meal of it but mostly tear it and my hair out as it self-seeds everywhere. I would think just throwing them out on fresh soil lightly covered and wait till Spring to transplant to desired (Desired? LOL) location.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here