Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
loquat seedlings' leaves turning brown

Posted by tsquared27 none (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 13, 13 at 18:36

I propagated them a few months ago, and most have seemed to survive this far, but even those have begun to acquire a browning that starts at the tips and slowly kills the leaf. I first moved to indirect sunlight, then cut down on watering (it used to be daily, but now much less often). I'm still not sure what to do though, because it doesn't seem to have gotten much better. I couldn't seem to find anything on the internet that really addressed my exact problem. Help would be appreciated and thanks for reading!

Pics:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: loquat seedlings' leaves turning brown

Leaf edge or tip browning is often caused by salt buildup in your soil. I would but the pot in a tub of water, emerging to the soil surface for an hour or so, then remove it and let it drain. From now on when you water, apply enough so that about 20% of the water applied, can be seen exiting the drain holes. I am assuming you are using a soil less potting mix, preferably bark based, and well drained. Al

o

Keeping the pot emerged in water for an hour won't damage the roots, will it?

o

No submerging for an hour will not cause a problem. The object is to flush out the potting soil of accumulated salts from previous fertilizer applications. Too often fertilizer dissolved in water is applied to dry soil and not flushed through the pot drains, thus an accumulation which causes leaf edges to burn. Al

o

Thanks a lot! Will try tomorrow. Also I just noticed my incorrect vocabulary in my last post so I apologize for that!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here