Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What happend to my corn??

Posted by Kiwilicious none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 27, 12 at 19:15

I grew some Early Sunglow Hybrids early summer and harvested them awhile back with some pretty nice cobs for a first time corn grower. I live in Texas where its still pretty hot throughout fall, so in August I planted some more corn again since they grew fast. A week ago I found two caterpillars on the corn leaves and got rid of them quickly... but they seemed to have done some damage on a lot of the corn leaves. Now most all my corn plants look like this, and I had to put sticks because they keep falling down. I'm guessing they won't be able to grow much more at this point but I have no idea what happened. I tended to them just like I tended to the first batch I had and have never seen this before. Can little caterpillars really have caused this much destruction?

The middle where new leaves usually grown from and the tassel comes out are just.. crisp and yellow and look bad =/ Can anyone tell me what happened so next year I will be more prepared what to do and possibly prevent?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What happend to my corn??

Corn like other plants responds to day length. It is planted in the spring when the days are getting longer, not in the fall when the days are getting shorter. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here