Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Canna Seedlings

I started these 3 weeks ago. It is going to be fun to watch them grow next spring.

{{gwi:250652}}

Comments (8)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

I have a species Canna that is an annual, I have grown and saved the seed for years. I have not tried the hybrids available now. Please let us see what the flower looks when it blooms. Al

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Nice!

I've tried several times over the years to get canna seeds which I saved from my plants to sprout and none ever did. Would you mind telling us where you got the seeds and how you got them to sprout?

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello purpleinopp I got the seed from the back yard. This canna Red Dragon was given to me from a friend at work. I was reading a post on the canna page where someone had started seeds. Did a search and it was not to hard to start them. Actually I was surprised! Get some very coarse sandpaper, needle nose pliers and a vice if possible. Holding the sandpaper in place with the vice I held the seeds with the pliers and keeping pressure down from the top with a finger from the other hand sanded off a little section of the black outer shell until I saw white inside. I then soaked them for 36 hours. Outside under shade cover they were up in a few days. Canna seeds need the freezing cold to break the outer shell. Nicking them like this gets the ball rolling sooner for us in zone 8 and 9.Good luck to you.

• tomerrol
    12 years ago

I bought a canna plant in late spring. It did really well, but was dying back a few weeks ago. I saved the seed, then a week later after the foliage was about gone I dug up the bulbs ( I guess they are bulbs!) there was 4 of them. I have been told they would not winter here in middle Tn z7, that is why I dug up the bulbs. I stored them in a little peat moss and put them in a closet. I know nothing of canna except they are very pretty. Could someone tell me if I did the right way on the canna?
    thanks for any info
    Tom

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tom I am not sure about growing in your area but I would keep the rhizome, I believe, in a cool, dark place until spring. Good luck Paula

12 years ago

Thanks, ilovetogrow. I will get more seeds from my Mom's house and try again. I could just dig up some tubers, I know, but the seed-starter in me would really like to see some of these sprout.

Tom, I know there are different cannas but I thought they were all hardy to zone 7. In zone 5 they can stay in the ground near brick walls or patios. Maybe be worth some investigation to see if you could leave yours in the ground. So much easier. If you find that they must be dug and stored, basement might be better than closet if you have one. It would be cooler and more humidity, easier to "walk the fine line" between having them get to dry or staying too moist that they rot.

• tomerrol
    12 years ago

thanks ilovetogrow & purpleinopp, I really thank you for the information. I have no basement, but do have an extra fridge that I keep my tulip bulbs and other tubers in. I just keep it set on about 50 degrees. I will check about my zone 7 here in middle tn (used to be z6)
    thanks again
    Tom

12 years ago

Maybe nobody told the cannas it's zone 7 now? LOL! The frige sounds more reliable if they are questionable outside. Good luck!