Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sueandjan

what to do with seed pods from trumpet vine

sueandjan
14 years ago

i am very new to this. my neighbor just gave me seed pods from her orange trumpet vine. i have no idea what to do with them. it is mid-sept. days in the low 70's and nights in the low to mid 50's. do i leave the seeds in the pods and plant as is, remove them and plant, or remove them and dry to plant in the spring? she also gave me a cutting with a small root attached. do i plant it now directly in the ground? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (14)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    14 years ago

A cutting with a 'small root' could be planted in the ground, depending on just how small that root is. If it has barely begun to root, someplace more protected than your Z5 garden bed might be a better place for it, i.e. semi protected porch, cold frame etc.

The seeds are removed from the pods. They need a period exposed to cold moist temperatures before they will germinate so you could direct sow now while it's comfortable to be outside, sow in pots in winter and place the pots outdoors for germination in Spring, or sow and use your refrigerator to provide the cold moist period - Campsis radicans: sow 2 months @ 39ºF, move to 70ºF for germination.

If your neighbor is growing the vine you must know in some climates it can get large and have an attitude :)

• chrisnance
    14 years ago

I actually bought some yellow trumpet vine that I will be planting in containers. If you google it, you will find that it is incredibly invasive and hard to get rid of once it has set in.

• geoforce
    14 years ago

In zone 5, I doubt that Campsis will be very invasive. That is about as cold as they will go at all. They are a horrible problem from zone 8 South but not bad at all for me here on the zone 7-6 border.

George

• tomakers
    14 years ago

My yard is zone 6 or maybe 5 (I'm in a frost pocket) and it is very invasive. We have it growing to attract hummers, which it does very well, but I warned my wife "it's beautiful, but you can't get rid of it". My grandmother had it while I was growing up and you had to trim it back severely EVERY year, or "it will pull the shingles off the barn" was the warning. I think it could have pulled the whole barn down if it was left alone. Be careful where you put it.
    JMO,
    Tom

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I'm in 7a and it's impossible to get rid of once it's become established.

• mstdesire
    14 years ago

I had trumpet vine on 3 sides of my yard for twenty years. My neighbors had it growing in their fence lines because they didn't care about it, they are renters. It is HORRIBLY invasive and when you cut it back, it starts new shoots underground. Even worse than bamboo. I probably spent 40 - 50 hours a season just cutting it back as hard as I could. Then I bought some powdered roundup and mixed it double strength and sprayed those vines about 4 times. That got rid of it. It was the first time (hopefully the last) I ever resorted to using poisons in my yard but it was so worth it. If it comes back in the spring, I'm going to spray it again. It was even coming up as far as ten feet away from the original plants. DON'T PLANT IT or I'm sure you'll regret it.

• Jodi BerglundDehmer
    8 years ago

I'm in Zone 4 & Minnesota winters just make this plant go nuts I have seed pods that are 12" to 18" long

• Tammy Geddie
    7 years ago

I planted mine about 15 years ago in zone 5 MI. and I thought for sure it would cover my picket fence on the property line. It just grows along the top and is easy to maintain. This year I started digging up the shoots from the yard and putting them in water to root. I've given several away, and I think I'll continue doing this to share for the hummers. I've yet to find someone with a pink one though.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    7 years ago

Plant them in large pots to avoid them spreading. Simple yes?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    7 years ago

Simple, no! What is the plan to control the seed pods?

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    7 years ago

Ummm, cut them off before they form seeds?

• Phaedra Applegate
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

ummm yeah here in zone 8, I am learning the hard way just how voracious this thing is.....we planted two 4" sprouts about 13 months ago, and this is what we have now

• Phaedra Applegate
    7 years ago