Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vanilla bean seed

Posted by pomme8916 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 25, 06 at 20:21

I know this probably isnt the best thing to do but i am eandering if it is possible to grow vinailla from seeds? I also know they requirire a symbiotic fungus. where cani i get it/make it? how to plant and grow info will be apreciated.

Thanks,
please email at joair89@inbox.com

pme8916

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vanilla bean seed

Advanced stuff! Are you familiar with flask culture of other orchid species? Are you aware that Vanilla is a tree-size climbing plant and therefore very difficult to grow indoors.

I'm not sure if the symbiotic fungus is available commercially. All cultures I am aware of use either the plant or soil it has been growing in to grow the fungus for germination.

o
RE: vanilla bean seed

Shrubs and bulbs is right. Growing orchids from seed requires flask culture, very sterile conditions, etc.

It would probably be easier--and faster--to simply buy a vanilla orchid. I don't know what the exact number is for the vanilla orchid (vanilla planifolia), but orchids can take up to 5-7 years to bloom from seed.

Also, once you get vanilla pods, I've read it can be a real chore to get them to the point where they can be used for culinary purposes.

Good luck, though!

o
RE: vanilla bean seed orchids forum

Sorry, I hit the submit button too soon. I meant to add that if you post this message at the Orchids forum you may get some replies from members who have tried this and can give you lots of info and advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here