Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing raspberry plant from seed

Posted by cleocrafta z4 MN (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 21:17

Wondering if anyone has successfully grown raspberry plants from the seeds found in the raspberry fruit. I want to start a large patch and thought I might grow some plants from the fruit found @ my local farmers market. What are your thoughts on this? thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing raspberry plant from seed

My main thought on this idea is that you have no guarantee of getting raspberry plants with worthwhile fruit if you grow from seed. Not to mention the time you'll need to grow the plants to fruiting size. It is good practice to weed out any seedlings from a raspberry patch for this very reason. If you leave them you run the risk of ending up with a stand of very inferior small, bobbly berries. It is much better to buy a named variety of known quality, even if only a small number of canes to start with. They will soon increase and you can propagate more from them and be sure to have fruit worth eating. Would the people at the farmers' market sell you some canes? Or at least tell you the name of the variety they're selling so you can buy some elsewhere?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here