Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blanket flower seed

Posted by tomerrol z6tn (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 14, 11 at 21:43

I have some blanket flowers in my garden. I want to save some seed from these. I cut a couple of pods off , they were gray or off white in color. I open them up but could not tell what the seed suppose to look like. I'm new at this so need a little help in knowing what to look for. so far all I see is alot of fuzzy looking stuff. I have tried to find on the internet pictures of blanket flower seed, but so far no luck. help from anyone please!
thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blanket flower seed

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 15, 11 at 10:59

Gaillardia. (Blanket Flower)

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of seed

o

Hi tomerrol,

I've never grown blanket flowers from seed but I was able to find a photo of the seeds at http://www.theseedbasket.com/?attachment_id=1406

Hope this helps.

o

• Posted by bakemom z6 Central Ohio (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 19, 11 at 17:47

The look like little shuttlecocks. Squeeze the end of each one to be sure there is a ripe "egg" that is viable. If they're flat, you might not have a good seed. Also, the seed should easily come off the head if you flick it with your fingernail. The hairs are sharp and getting stuck gives me hives, so watch out.

HTH

o

thanks every one for the help. I now have bunches and bunches of those little seed!! Sure helps when I know what I'm looking for. But those tiny little petunia seed!! lawd, I never knew seed to be so tiny!
thanks again
Tom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here