Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Avocado Pit?

Posted by Sami-Doughty 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 6, 13 at 21:54

I don't know if this post belongs here exactly or not, but it is germination from a seed. I have tried growing an Avocado tree from a pit. I have had it for a couple weeks, keeping it well watered in the suspended in the glass with water method. My seed has split all the way around, but nothing has grown from it, not even a root. I just planted it in some miracle grow potting soil and watered it well in hopes that maybe something would come of it. Any ideas or suggestions? Will it still produce eventually? Has anybody had any luck with this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Avocado Pit?

I just stuck a seed in the ground slightly covered and it grew into a small tree without any care. I am in 9b and the cold kept nipping it so I pulled it. It was in the wrong spot anyway. Guess I never expected it to grow. I thought of planting some of the new types that are more cold hardy but never did.

o
RE: Avocado Pit?

It takes a little time to grow them from their pits, but it's a basic second grade experiment. All grade school kids have success.

I got a few to grow, but they died when they got into a pot with soil.

There is one that survived. It's putting out leaves like crazy! They do love water, which is why they do just fine in pure water! Mine is on a drip system. We will transplant into the ground in spring on a drip system and add a couple more for polination!

Good luck!

Suzi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here