Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greengreengrass_gw

Accidentally used weed killer watering can on new grass shoots!

greengreengrass
10 years ago

Hi there, very new to gardening but moved into a new house a year ago and have been trying to get an overgrown, compacted and full of weeds garden into shape.

After chopping down two years worth of overgrowth and finally tackling the plethora of weeds that covered it from front to rear, I was faced with having to remove all the turf and re-sow the lawn because it was severely compacted and dominated by crab grass anywhere that wasn't covered in weeds.

So fast forward a year and I finally got to the point of sowing new grass seed. It has been a week now and all the work has been worth it as little grass shoots are growing beautifully. So I decided to give the lawn a watering today as it is unseasonably warm and ended up using the wrong watering can! I am so upset! I have two and they are the same except one has some cling film wrapped around a bit where it leaks a little. For some reason someone had removed the small piece of cling film and I have now used that can to water the entire lawn of new shoots! I used Round Up fast acting weed killer in it last. I did fill it with water to rinse it all out before use as it had been sat out unused for a while and had dirt in it. I am hoping this would have washed out enough weed killer residue but I'm now worried that all the new grass will die.

Sorry for such a long post. This garden has been a labour of love over the last year and I am a bit disappointed over this setback.

Comment (1)