Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oilpainter_gw

Dave--a question for you

oilpainter
13 years ago

Hi

I know that blossom end rot in tomatoes is because of a lack of calcium and caused by not keeping tomatoes moist, especially when they are flowering.

My question--Something I always wondered about.

How does the lack of moisture deplete the tomato plant of calcium? Is calcium not present in dry soil or is it just not available to the plant.

Looking forward to the answer

Comments (2)

• oilpainter
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm bumping this down. Looks like there is no answer for my question

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

There are plenty of answers, but I guess Dave isn't present at the moment. Your request for Dave is probably why your question has not been answered.

There are many reasons why BER happens; it's often like a house of cards. The primary (fundamental) reason for this disorder is that the demand of Ca exceeds the ready supply. WHY this occurs can be complicated.

There may be an excess of other cations in the soil, such as magnesium (often applied in epsom salts), or potassium. BER is often induced by heat and drought stress, as well as big fluctuations in soil moisture. Excessive amounts of N in the soil, resulting in a lot of vegetative growth will also invite this disorder. Finally, if there is an inadequate supply of calcium, ready for uptake by the plant, in the soil....there will be a problem. Most calcium products need quite a bit of time for the particles to break down to the elemental level so that they can be take up by the plant.