Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannienyc

Pansies from seeds

jeannienyc
11 years ago

I would like some help with growing pansies from seeds. I've googled and read forums about "pansies from seeds" and I have found different advice on how to grow pansies from seeds. I have read on blogs/forums that pansy seeds require about a week of darkness before they will germinate but and I have read elsewhere where people were successful in germinating pansy seeds without having to place them in a dark (and cool) place. Plus, the instructions on the seed packet did not say i would need to place them in a dark place. I am starting these seeds indoors with a seed starting tray.

I have planted the pansy seeds for two weeks now and so far, no germination. It is placed by a window that has blinds so no direct sun is hitting it but does get some filtered light through. I have read that it may take 2 to 3 weeks for germination but if i don't see anything by the end of this week, does someone have a recommendation? Or should i just place the tray some place dark and cool?

I'm in the NYC area, which i believe is a zone 6.

Can someone shed some light on whether i have to place the seed starting tray in a dark and cool place in order to get the pansy seeds to germinate?

Comments (8)