Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foodsaver Vacuum Sealing Questions

Posted by empgardening none (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 5, 11 at 1:21

Hi all,

I know that there has been some discussion on this board about using a foodsaver vacuum sealer to store seeds. I had a few additional questions.

1) I'm interested in very long term storage, and I heard that you can freeze seeds to keep them viable for many years. Is there anything wrong with sealing seeds in a vacuum sealed bag and tossing the bag into the freezer? How long do you think they would last?

2) I know that humidity control is as important and temperature control, but is letting the seeds get too dry a big problem, esp for extremely long term storage? I have been thinking about sealing the seeds with a pack of silica desiccant, but would this take away too much moisture?

Any help is appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foodsaver Vacuum Sealing Questions

If anybody has experience with sealing and or freezing seeds with packets of silica desiccant I'd love to hear what type of packets you used.

o

Ok so I did a bit more digging around and pulled up some interesting facts:

1) Contrary to what a lot of people say, drying seeds to 0% humidity might not be bad, according to this site:

http://www.seedcontainers.net/a_guide_to_long-term_seed_preservation.html

2) Certain seeds can be dried "desiccation-tolerant":

http://howtosaveseeds.com/store.php

Any additional comments would be appreciated!

o

I think you would learn a lot by reading the work of Norman C Deno. The professor spend many years experimenting with seed viability and storage. His work is now free on the internet. Look under his name or 'Seed Germination Theory and Practice'. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here