Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When is best time to sow annual poppy seed in zone 9?

Posted by stross z9 N.O., LA (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 3, 10 at 2:04

I would like to try growing some annual poppies from seed for the first time this year. I am in New Orleans -- zone 9. The heat and humidity of summer has finally broken, so the fall gardening bug has bit! Is it too early to sow annual poppies here? Would it work to sow them now for winter/early spring bloom, or do I need to wait later -- until next month or so? Anyone in this zone who has experience with growing poppies from seed.... your input will be most appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When is best time to sow annual poppy seed in zone 9?

the time from sowing seed till flowers is 15-17 weeks you do the math

o

Well for a more courteous answer, LOL.

Here in zone 7 my little neighbor that has beautiful poppies each and every year says to direct sow them in February. So for you in zone 9 I would say if you are wanting the blooms in the spring you could probably direct sow yours in January or still even in February. Also how she recommends direct sowing them is by tossing them on the ground where ever you are wanting them then lightly press. Now I will also mention her area is amended so she isn't just tossing them on bare dirt.

If you were to go by the guidelines stated above it would make no sense, each plant has various germination rates. Various time from germination to bloom. Not all plants are the same.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 5, 10 at 15:14

stross, with your heat + humidity, you may want your poppies blooming early while still cooler. Direct sow in Fall in Z9. Using the above math (still makes sense to count), you might want to wait until after Halloween. In my Z8 where I will have some occasional freezing temps, I sow Nov, Dec, again in Jan or Feb - about three sowings for a longer succession of blooms. While keeping in mind it isn't hot enough here to spoil the plants as will happen later in the season in your zone, if you have adequate seed you might consider sowing more than once at three week or so intervals.

o

• Posted by stross z9 N.O., LA (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 5, 10 at 21:44

Thanks for the responses! morz8, I think I will try your "sowing more than once at three week or so intervals" to see how that works. countrycarolyn, I will follow the "lightly press" method you recommend! :-)

o

To be honest stross I never thought of doing that to have longer blooms, so I may try that also. It is a good idea!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here