Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall Seed Sowing

Posted by cribscreek z7/8 NC (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 8, 11 at 2:31

I am wondering if there is any place on garden web or online that can help me with timing my fall seed sowing. This is something new to me and it seems like everywhere I look, I find new dates for fall sowing. I was going to sow several seeds 2 weeks back and then saw online where I should wait until Oct./Nov. to do this and now I am seeing some places that say its too late for me. My county borders SC so I'm very close to zone 8, and have grown several zone 8 plants here. I sure would appreciate any info on the subject. I will be planting both ornamentals (poppies, nigella, scabiosa etc) as well as cool weather crops.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall Seed Sowing

I can't help you as I am not familiar with your climate but you could try the Winter Sowing Forum here on GW. Their definition of 'winter' is pretty flexible. Or the Annuals Forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Annuals Forum

o
RE: Fall Seed Sowing

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 8, 11 at 11:21

cribscreek, it sounds like your cool Fall vegetables may be a little late if a normal weather year - the suggestion is September for quick to mature vegetables. But, do you have a County Ext agency near you where you could get information specific to your area?

I know you've been warmer and with more sun than this Z8, my sis is in Raleigh this week greeting a new granddaughter ;) You could sow seeds for poppies and nigella now, they will likely germinate in the next few weeks with some sun and thundershowers but many of the seedlings will make it through winter, even brief snows. What I do with both those seeds is toss some out in Fall, again December, again early March - in a bad winter year I'll have seedlings from one of those sowings, and in a good year I'll have some from each sowing for a longer succession of blooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: ncsu.edu Fall sowing

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here