Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to find Basic Instructions for Growing from Seeds?

Posted by onthebrinck 6 Central New Jersey (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 15, 10 at 3:34

Where can I find step by step instructions, here or elsewhere on starting echinacea from seed. I don't want to invest in fancy miniature greenhouses that wind up costing more than if I went to the nursery and bought the plants in the Spring! I thought to fill about 100-200 small peat pots with starter mix, plunk the packaged echinacea seed (2 per) in each, put the pots in cooking pans on the window sill that gets the most light (mid-afternoon to sunset exposure) and cover them with plastic wrap til they germinate. It can't be as simple as that???!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to find Basic Instructions for Growing from Seeds?

this link should have the information you need.

http://www.gardenguides.com/499-coneflower-echinacea-purpurea-garden-basics-flower-perennial.html

o

I tell ya I use to have the hardest time trying to start anything from seed. I hated to spend money on the little green houses or even all of that material that they recommend seed starting. I mean heck I prefered seed cause they are a heck of a lot cheaper. Well I had some success in direct sowing but I usually never watered it enough and in my southern heat that is not a good thing for seedlings. So I went on a searching quest and I found this forum. Well then I found the winter sowing forum. Wow, now that was right up my ally. Planting devices made from recycleables. Talk about economic!! I did not winter sow this past year but this coming January I plan to. I did though use some of the techniques for winter sowing. I started my plants outside. No hardening off which that always confused me. Here is my growing area that cost me nothing that I used this spring. I put holes in the bottom of the bottles and I watered by putting water in the pan. Yes it was that easy!! Same technique is used for winter sowing, just take off the lids and tape up your bottles. No need to make room in your windowsill or go buy those expensive seed trays or the indoor lights.

Cheap growing area

Here is just one of the plants that was grown in my "economic" growing area. This is in the top row 2nd container from the right hand side.

Balloon Flower2

Coneflower is extremely easy to start as a matter of fact here is some that I started just in a pot within a pot. Cover them lightly with soil and water, and wait. Some echinacea take up to 3 weeks to germinate. In the picture is Tennessee Coneflower. Yes there are other plants in that pot, just look over those, lol.

Tn coneflower

o

Another vote for Winter Sowing.
Here's the link to Winter Sowing FAQ.
Have fun!
I have been winter sowing for at least 6 years. I have never regretted stumbling into this forum. It is a fun, inexpensive and easy way to sow seeds and very successful at that.
The folks there are the most helpful, friendliest and kindest people around.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here