Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nova12_gw

Chinese lantern seeds (Physalis alkekengi)

nova12
16 years ago

Has anyone ever successfully grown this type of plant from seed? (Physalis alkekengi) I read that they need to go through the stratification process so I have them in a baggie in some moistened medium in the fridge. Has anyone done this, and if so how long before I see seedlings? And once I see seedlings, when should they go under lights? And how much light? They are hardy to my zone, but I will be growing them inside under HID lights for the winter.

Thanks everyone in advance for your responses

Comments (5)

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I haven't grown that particular variety but would think that 6-8 weeks in the fridge should be long enough. They might germinate while in the fridge so check the container every week or two. If you see that they have sprouted plant them immediately. If they don't germinate during stratification they should germinate fairly quickly once you plant them. A seed mat might help. You could also winter sow them or direct sow them now and they should sprout in the spring. For growing inside place your seed trays under the HID lights as soon as they are planted and make sure the soil remains moist. The HID lights should be a minimum of 4' away from your plants.
    Karyn

• cheerpeople
    16 years ago

oh boy.
    A word of caution. Ok MANY words... I have tried over 1000 plants from seed. Physalis is without a double the most invasive, difficult to irradicate of all of them. A garden center near here prefaces their purchase by saying be sure to plant in a place where you can round-up or mow around it.
    You can't contain them in a dug in pot as they will grow over also thru the drain holes. Worse than obediant plant to remove.

You can't tarp them to remove them quickly, as they will grow under the tarp. You can't round-up them to remove them, they just keep coming up. - you have to dig it all out including all the dirt and those things run underground for severla feet. I lost quite a bit of garden space for a year ....in 2 gardens. Never again.

Now- if you must.
    They wintersow just fine. Poor lanterns the first year but more the second. Not pretty as the lanterns hide in the foliage. Better dried. I'm zone 5. Hope this helps.

Good luck!
    Karen

• nova12
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am in Zone 3 so they pretty much die off in the winter here. I only rent....hehe, but I really love these plants.....and for the first couple of years I am hoping to keep them in containers (because I rent...lol)

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

Dry shade holds them back a bit.

• ohgirl
    16 years ago

I'll never grow them again! I grew them 5yrs ago and every year since, i pull them up. They are very very invasive!

All i did was throw them ON the dirt and they grew.

As stated in the post or 2 above; the 1st year they dont look like anything. But the next summer and thereafter, you are just about stuck!(forever)

And they dont look all that great either!

Just my 2cents.