Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Delphiniums in Asia

Posted by RLydia none (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 8, 11 at 5:06

Forgive me if there are mistakes in this post as I'm fairly new to the forum.

I'm wondering, for those who've planted Delphiniums before, do you think it's possible for them to grow over here in Malaysia? I've waited for almost a month and it hasn't germinated yet. The pot is out in the open, getting about 12 hours of sunlight per day but for the past month, it has been raining. (The normal tempt, if it isn't raining, is about 30-33C)

What is the right way for the seeds to germinate? Should it be kept in the dark, soaked, or is there any other way? I'm planning on buying new seeds because I fancy the flowers so any help is appreciated.

Also, do you think I should leave the Delphs and give it more time to germinate or just give up on it and start over? If Delphs can't survive in this climate, what other similar plants do you suggest?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Delphiniums in Asia

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 8, 11 at 11:02

Do you experience frost at all during any time of the year, or temperatures nearing 40F? Sorry, but I don't know your climate at all to make a plant recommendation.

Soil must be rich as delphinium are heavy feeders. PH 6.0 - 7.0 or slightly alkaline, I give them a bit of lime and they do well in my mildly acidic soil. Well drained, particularly in warm areas: they must not be exposed to very warm, very wet soils around their roots.

Delphiniums are very hardy and tolerant of frosts. They will benefit from winter freezing...I don't think you will find they will perform for you without a period of winter dormancy, or temperatures close to freezing over several weeks.

As for the seeds, Germination for most species delphinium is best between 18 and 24C (65 -
75F) You aren't likely to get germination if temperatures exceed 80F (26C).

o

Ah, that explains a lot! There's no winter over here and the lowest tempt we have is 22 or so (when it's raining at night). I was wondering, is it possible for the Delphs to germinate if it's placed in a fridge? I was researching and I bumped into this website http://www.delphinium.co.nz/Germination.htm

Anyway, thanks for answering my previous questions. I guess if this doesn't work out, I'll find other perennial plants to fill the garden.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 8, 11 at 13:58

The Dowdswell Site is excellent, but keep in mind for growing on the plants if you did achieve germination - NZ has 4 distinct (even if mild) seasons. Their weather is approximately similar to my own. I've purchased their seeds and it's a wonderful company, but sadly it does not sound as though you have the climate to raise the plants if you did manage to germinate seeds.

o

Alright, thanks for the advice!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here