Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what do you save seed in?

Posted by tomerrol z7tn (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 2, 11 at 6:44

I was just wondering what type of container do most put their seed in to either save or to use for shipping/swapping ? I am new at harvesting and saving seed. I have started this past month to harvesting seed from my flowers and veggies. Right now I am using regular small size enveloupes that I seal, then I cut in half. then after seed are dried I put them in and fold the cut end over and tape with scotch tape.
I am going to my first plant and swap meet in middle tn this oct 15th at Henry Horton state park and just need advise on how to pack seed, and just how many seed to a pack?
thanks for any advise
Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what do you save seed in?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 2, 11 at 12:03

Your method of packaging sounds fine. Optional/alternative choices are 1x2 or 2x3" ziplocks at Staples, craft stores for minimal expense. There are free seed envelope templates online if you wanted to take the time or be creative, not necessary. Hobby stores would have glassine stamp envelopes that work well.

The loose rule of thumb is at least 25 seeds per packet. With small seed, you may want to include more, larger or seeds more rare or difficult to harvest and fewer than 25 is acceptable.

Enjoy your first plant swap!

o

You can cut square pieces of paper (from your junk mail!) and make little origami envelopes. This pic shows how. For the last step, they show the point being folded flush with the bottom edge but I usually fold it "long" so the point/flap can tuck in under the other folds.

To keep seeds for myself, I use empty spice bottles. It's fun to put basil seeds in the bottle that says "basil" but the other seeds don't usually match their bottle. You can write on the existing label, tape on a new one, or just put a slip of paper inside with the seeds if you don't remember them all by sight. I also like to write the year they are from even if I recognize them.

o

Hi, My husband has several medications that he takes regularly, so I save the empty pill containers. The sticky labels come off easily and clean, and once the seeds are completely dried out (in an open air container) the pill containers work fabulously. I write the name of the seed and the date with black magic marker on a slip of paper and put it inside the pill container so it shows. Best seed storage method EVER! You can throw all the containers in a box and the seeds will never fall out because of the tight-fitting lids! Donna

o

I sure want to thank all of you for the information. Donna, I have no pill containers but I do have alot of the old 35mm film tubes. that are black in color, and have very tight fitting lids. You think they would work? I could use those to store my own seed in. I think I would like the small ziplock to do for seed trading. I want to find out how to make the little labels that I have seen on other peoples seed packs. seems they just type or run off on pc, or maybe just use ballpoint pen.
thank all of you for the kind replies.
take care
Tom

o

Hi Tom, The film canisters will work, but the pill containers are see through so you can see what is inside without having to open the lid. Perhaps you could ask a few friends or relatives who get medicines to save the pill containers for you. Just make sure you dry the seeds out thoroughly before putting in the containers or they will get moldy. For mailing seeds the tiny zip lock or snack size baggies are the best. Donna

o

With the advent of digital cameras we no longer have a source for 35mm containers. My wife is diabetic and has a seemingly endless supply of test strip containers which work very well. For seeds to be sent I use the counterfold waxed sheets folded as above. For long time storage the test strip containers are great and I use a Brothers label machine to note the variety and date saved. Al

o

Tom - the labels come 30 to a sheet, 8 1/2 x 11 so they will run through a standard inkjet printer the same as a letter. There are templates in MS Word you can use to create labels with seed name, germination and general plant information.

I collect seeds in paper cereal bowls that I set on racks inside my garage to dry and also to allow any hidden critters to escape. Once dry, the seeds are stored in salad dressing cups w/snap-on lids. I get those in the cafeteria where I work. They save milk jugs for me to use for winter sowing and are gardeners themselves. I asked the manager if I could buy the little condiment cups for seeds and he let me have 100 for $1.00. I use a paint pen (available at Michael's) to write the seed name on the cups.

The small 2" x 3" ziplocs have so far been the best for mailing/trading seeds. To keep tiny seeds from sticking to the inside of the ziplocs from static, I also cut wax paper into 3" x 3" squares that I fold into pockets and seal with tape. WalMart sells the ziplocs @ 100 for $1 but they're also available from Michael's. WM also sells packs of the label sheets.

o

gardenweed, I sure thank you for the information. I really liked your seed packs and the labels. I have never used MS word but guess its not to late for me to learn! I know I'm going to need a paint pen, I already tried a regular marker..it does not last! smears, and fades. I seen wally world has elmers paint pens but I thought I read somewhere that they are not to good. thanks again gardenweed
Tom

o
RE: in what do you save seed?

Hi Tom, When I first discovered WS, I bought both Deco and Elmer's paint pens to use but after testing them out, decided the Elmer's paint took too long to dry. Naturally I smudged it and got paint on my hand. It's a pain to try and get off your skin. I had much more success with the Deco pens but Michael's stopped selling them last year. I had a couple of extras but was down to my last one this year. That's when I went back to Michael's and found the oil-based Sharpie paint pens. They work great + they come in lots of colors too.

I use MS Word a lot every day of the week so it's easy for me to create labels. Email me directly if you need help getting started.

o

I've got to check out those Sharpie paint pens. I love my Deco, but have only one.

When collecting seed, I put them in either little 5 oz dixie cups or a lunch paper bag (for longer stems and such) to dry. Label with the plant and date collected using a piece of masking tape or on the bag. I have reused these for several years now.

For storing or trading, I use either little paper manila envelopes, or the little clear plastic zipper bags. I have tons of seeds that are stored in a produce drawer in the fridge, and have to conserve space and the little envelops or zippies fit best. They also fit best in bubble envelops. For SASBE's I ask people to send their own labelled baggies or envelopes for the seeds.

o

terrenem thank so much for the info. I bought the small ziplock at wally world yesterday, 100 for $1.00
where do you get the small manila envelopes? a person could carry a few of these with him when out walking or just looking for seed when out somewhere. I would think they would be about a 2x3 if so they would be handy also.
thank you again
Tom

o

Hi Tom, I got mine at the local 5 & 10, an ancient, ramshackle store that is stuffed to the gills with practically everything. But you can find them online, Amazon and Walmart etc. have them. They're called "coin and small parts envelopes".

They are more expensive than the plastic zip bags, but paper might be a better storage material because it allows the seeds to breath. But I have good results with both. Storing seeds in the fridge maintains their viability for many years.

o

I started out using small plastic bags, but I sometimes had mold problems if the seeds had any moisture. Then I used pieces of paper that I cut, folded, and taped. Then I moved on to cutting up larger envelopes, which didn't involve as much cutting and taping. And then I discovered "coin envelopes" at Staples. They measure 2-1/4" X 3-1/2", are made from manila paper, have a gummed flap, and they're just the right size. A box of 500 costs about $17. For me, that's at least a 5-year supply, and it saves me a lot of trouble.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coin envelopes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here