Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hippifan

Sowing cardiocrinum

hippifan
12 years ago

How do you sow cardiocrinum? Anybody any idea?

Comments (7)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

Hinkley, Explorers Garden, propagation notes: "Sow fresh seed soon after harvest, may take up to two years for all to germinate"

He means fresh seed outdoors or in a cold frame where the seeds will experience a range of temperatures while moist over several months. Knowing you will have these seed pots for some time, you'll want to top your pots with some grit (crushed granite, chick grit) to discourage moss, liverworts....the suggestion is that you keep the seedlings in pots for approx 3 years after germination before installing in your garden.

You might be able to speed up the germinaton process by giving the seeds more abbreviated periods - sown, warm for several weeks, then placing them in your refrigerator for several weeks, bringing them back out to warm. If you have lots of seed you could try some both ways.

• calinromania
    12 years ago

I also have some questions about cardiocrinum.
    I got fresh seeds... but they were fresh in November.
    I sowed some in a container outside (freezing temps) then another pot in cool conditions, rather cold but not freezing (this on my balcony, glass enclosed but not heated) and yet another one smaller container (like margarine) in the fridge.
    I still have some seeds left and I am not sure what else to do - as far as sowing goes.
    These seeds came from a gardener so for sure were fresh.

Tried some bought seeds last year and two years ago - germination ZERO.

I tried to get info online. I haven't managed to read or see pictures of successful Cardiocrinum seed germination.

Lots of info, but no proofs. WHY NOT?

Some say the seeds need to normally go through weather elements like freezing temps, some other sites say NO FREEZING. Who should I believe?

Is there someone on this forum with a successful story? And pictures of a tray full of seedling? I'd like to see one!

Calin

12 years ago

Page from a study including their photos here. Note the dates, sown fresh in Nov, germination beginning 17 months later....

Here is a link that might be useful: Cardiocrinum

• calinromania
    12 years ago

Wow. Then there's a chance. Too bad they don't explain exactly WHERE the pots were placed for all those 17 months...
    THANKS!

12 years ago

Since not mentioned as otherwise in propagation notes from Hinkley, you are safe in assuming in a cold frame or someplace protected from wildlife outdoors, that the seeds have been exposed to seasons (not greenhouse or artifically controlled temps) - a range of temperatures as they would be exposed to in their native setting.

If you are having trouble finding germinaton instructions for a seed, it can help to look at the country of origin, then copy that as best able. When does the seed ripen, what happens weatherwise next after it falls from the plant....

• calinromania
    12 years ago

Thanks Morz8 for all advice.
    Since the last batch was the fresh-est, I think I have better chances with it. Also, many seeds and more techniques.
    But I will only know in spring 2013...
    :)
    Calin

• chevy3
    9 years ago

I have been trying to germinate fresh seed for many years. No luck until now. I harvested fresh seed from the pods just after the first snowfall in December of 2012. In January 2013 I created 8 experimental groups, some refrigerated, some not, some sowed directly, some floated in a baggie of vermiculite in a cooler filled with 82 degree water maintained by an aquarium heater, some put in the cold frame, some left outside in full exposure a harsh winter.
    I kept very thorough notes. The following method describes the method that easily proved its worth: three times the germination compared to all other methods.

January 14, 2013---Soaked fresh seed overnight in a pint of water containing 1/2 teaspoon citric acid (or winemaker's acid blend). You could substitute 1 T. lemon juice. The acid soak variable proved to be the most important variable.

January 15, 2013---Put soaked seeds in a baggie full of damp vermiculite and stratified (refrigerated 40 degrees) for 90 days.

April 15, 2013---No germination. Placed seeds in 6" pots covered with vermiculite. Put pots in cold frame (along with half the other experimental groups). Inside temp of cold frame was 41 degrees at 8 AM. It froze previous night.

Late spring, 2013---Opened cold frame but kept pots moist all summer and fall. No germination.

February 23, 2014---Germination observed in all pots, but the acid soak/stratifed method had three times the amount.

April 12, 2014---Fertilized with weak solution of Peters African Violet food (12-36-24) to encourage bulb growth. Put pots on the deck on the north side of the house, where they will get no direct sun. Kept very well watered.

Tomorrow--July 7, 2014---Will pot up all plants in separate 4" pots. About 50 total from a beginning of perhaps 800 seeds.

Good luck to all!! Remember: acid soak and stratify!