Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Linden trees from seed & KCT seeds

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 25, 11 at 9:00

I have collected some of the pea sized seed pods with the intention of starting some. Has anyone ever grown these from seed? Since the seed pods are hard now, I was wondering if they would need the same treatment as Kentucky Coffee Trees? Those I just pour boiling water over. I also have some seeds from the KCT and plan to start them. Last time I started them inside and they did not survive the move outdoors. I was planning on winterowing them all. Do you think that would work? If I w/s them, should I still use the hot water method first or would the freeze/thaw cycles break the hard shells? Thanks for any advice. Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Linden trees from seed & KCT seeds

I am interested in this question because I have never ever seen a self sown linden and have always assumed they must be quite tricky, at least in my climate. I googled and found the linked information. It seems that Tilia species can be 'deeply dormant'. There's a useful little guide book to download at the link too on growing trees from seed. I have tried layering a linden and had zero success.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 25, 11 at 14:10

I looked at that site and did some reading. I think I will go ahead and use the boiling water method. When I did the KCT, I poured the water over the seeds to help soften the coat. I think I will do the same for the linden seeds. Maybe that will soften the coat enough to speed up germination? It's worth a try. Marg

o

INDEN... SOAK SEED IN ACID FOR 10-15 MIN THEN IN WATER FOR 1-2 DAYS THEN STORE AT 40f FOR 3 MONTHS..... LIGHTLY COVER THE SEED SOIL TEMP 57-78f TAKES 14 TO 35 DAYS TO GERMINATE MAY TAKE LONGER
kct ... SOAK IN ACID 2-4 HOURS THEN LIGHTLY COVER SEED SOIL TEMP 65-70f TAKING 30-90 DAYS TO GERMINATE
i USE BATTERY ACID

o

I've had success with Kentucky Coffee Tree germination by scarifying the seed coat with a Dremel. I planted 3 non-scarified and 3 Dremel scarified seeds and the 3 scarified seeds all germinated while none of the non-scarified ones did. This will be the first winter they go through, so we shall see if they make it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here