Return to the Growing from Seed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing magnolia (grandiflora) tree from seed.

Posted by pollygogo kansas (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 2, 05 at 9:16

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to grow a
Magnolia tree from the red seeds that come from the pods that fall from the white flowers. there is one in the neighborhood, and I have been trying to get one to grow, with no success.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing magnolia (grandiflora) tree from seed.

• Posted by MorZ8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 2, 05 at 14:58

Magnolia - remove seed coat, sow 3m or more @ 39F, then direct sow outdoors or bring temperature to warmer but still cool. Short viability seeds, do not attempt to store before sowing...

Here is a link that might be useful: Magnolia from Seed

o

Does this mean that winter sowing will not work since the seeds can freeze?

o

No, it just means that you get better germination percentage if you stratify at a bit warmer temp. If you have plenty of seed, fall sowing is just fine. When seed start to drop from the cones, pull them out and rub and wash off all of the pulp, then plant. They should do just fine.

George

o

Mon, Oct 3, 05 at 15:16

brighteyes, I think the problem with winter sowing has as much to do with holding the seed for 3 months or more (short viability, seed is sensitive to dry warm temps) as it does with the cold temperatures. I've sown M. Wilsonii in containers outdoors twice from purchased seed rec'd in January...my winter temps here will average 40ish with some brief freezes. I finally have one seedling about 4 months old :)

o

cool, i just got some off a tree so i will go ahead and rub the coating and plant now

carey

o

The seedlings might like partial shade at first but after that full sun

o

When seed start to drop from the cones, pull them out and rub and wash off all of the pulp, then plant.

Does that mean you wash off the red coating and then plant? Also, is there a side of the seed that you need to point downward when planting ? Looking at the seed I just got, it has a tiny bit of white silky thread at one end.

:-) CCJ

o

Sat, Oct 22, 05 at 16:02

That coating can be a little hard to clean, try soaking a couple of days, then push out the hard seed and wash in dishwashing soap to remove any oily residue. When in doubt on which end is up, lay it on its side.

o

tried this 3 times, can't even get this message out! Anyway, since this was dated '05, wondered how successful you were?...have tried several times to grow from pod w/o success either...

any help would be appreciated, thanks, rb

o

I answered above back in 05. I have had excellent luck with Magnolia stellata, soulangeana, and grandiflora. I did as I noted above and planted in fall in a shady bed. 25-70% germination seen. Nicking the seed might help, but I haven't tried it.

George

o
looking for magnolia grandiflora d.d. blanchard seeds

i am looking for magnolia grandiflora d.d. blanchard seeds. does anyone have those seeds for sale ...looking for 100 of seeds. tried everywhere but no luck... :( please help....

o

we move to ks in january 2 years ago. there was 2 trees close to the house that had black pods and bright red seeds. we could see from our window that the cardinals just loved to eat the seeds. later we found out that they are magnolia trees. this year they are loaded with pods. If anyone would like to try and grow some from seed I will pick the pods up when they are mature.I will ship the whole pod with the seeds in them. All you have to do is pay the shipping. please be reasonable on how many you want. alan

o

Alan, Hi! I am interested but I am based in England UK. Is a typical seed pod bulky and/or heavy? Or alternatively, would you be able to take the seeds out from a ripened pod and post the seeds?

o

the seed pods are not heavy. If going to the uk I will send just the seeds for you. the pods are just starting to turn yellow. It will be the end of september before they start to fall. how can we send emails privitely.
alan

o

Hi Alan, Thanks for your response. I am very new to gardenweb and have just figured out how we can send emails, hopefully. If you go to 'Your Profile' page which allows you to edit your details and prefences, right at the end of the form there is a box which allow members to send emails via forms on the GardenWeb. I have checked the box which means you should be able to send me an email via GardenWeb. I look forward to hearing from you.

o

Well 6 magnolia seeds have been cleaned scarified and planted. Hopefully come spring I should have one tree. I'm crossing my fingers.

o
RE: Looking for Magnolia Seeds.

If anyone has any extra Magnolia Seeds, about 100 or so...please email me at tossy@att.net

I will gladly send postage for these seeds. Thanks!

o

To germinate Magnolia seeds I would recommend using the paper towel method....with a little twist. First collect the red seeds. Then, using either a razor blade or an x-acto knife, carefully cut the outer shell. Once you have the actually seed in hand fill a glass with semi-warm water. Let them soak for about ten to fifteen minutes. Then get a paper towel and moisten it with the same temperature of water. Place the seeds in the middle of the towel and fold it hamburger style. Put everything in a ziplock bag; flatten it, and leave it by a window for about three weeks. You can tell if the seeds have germinated once you see the ziplock bag rise. This keeps the moisture constant in the bag and will help keep the seeds warm. Good luck...let me know how it works out.

o

I recently got seeds from my sister in law, got 2 pods from the same tree, and got red seeds from one pod and orange seeds from another. Is this possible? Will they produce the same trees? I have never attempted to grow magnolias before. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing from Seed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here