Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pollygogo

growing magnolia (grandiflora) tree from seed.

pollygogo
18 years ago

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to grow a

Magnolia tree from the red seeds that come from the pods that fall from the white flowers. there is one in the neighborhood, and I have been trying to get one to grow, with no success.

Comments (24)

• brighteyes
    18 years ago

Does this mean that winter sowing will not work since the seeds can freeze?

• geoforce
    18 years ago

No, it just means that you get better germination percentage if you stratify at a bit warmer temp. If you have plenty of seed, fall sowing is just fine. When seed start to drop from the cones, pull them out and rub and wash off all of the pulp, then plant. They should do just fine.

George

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    18 years ago

brighteyes, I think the problem with winter sowing has as much to do with holding the seed for 3 months or more (short viability, seed is sensitive to dry warm temps) as it does with the cold temperatures. I've sown M. Wilsonii in containers outdoors twice from purchased seed rec'd in January...my winter temps here will average 40ish with some brief freezes. I finally have one seedling about 4 months old :)

• brighteyes
    18 years ago

cool, i just got some off a tree so i will go ahead and rub the coating and plant now

carey

• Fledgeling_
    18 years ago

The seedlings might like partial shade at first but after that full sun

• ccj42_gateworld_net
    18 years ago

When seed start to drop from the cones, pull them out and rub and wash off all of the pulp, then plant.

Does that mean you wash off the red coating and then plant? Also, is there a side of the seed that you need to point downward when planting ? Looking at the seed I just got, it has a tiny bit of white silky thread at one end.

:-) CCJ

18 years ago

That coating can be a little hard to clean, try soaking a couple of days, then push out the hard seed and wash in dishwashing soap to remove any oily residue. When in doubt on which end is up, lay it on its side.

• genesee
    16 years ago

tried this 3 times, can't even get this message out! Anyway, since this was dated '05, wondered how successful you were?...have tried several times to grow from pod w/o success either...

any help would be appreciated, thanks, rb

• geoforce
    16 years ago

I answered above back in 05. I have had excellent luck with Magnolia stellata, soulangeana, and grandiflora. I did as I noted above and planted in fall in a shady bed. 25-70% germination seen. Nicking the seed might help, but I haven't tried it.

George

• magnoliaalta
    15 years ago

i am looking for magnolia grandiflora d.d. blanchard seeds. does anyone have those seeds for sale ...looking for 100 of seeds. tried everywhere but no luck... :( please help....

• alanwieb
    13 years ago

we move to ks in january 2 years ago. there was 2 trees close to the house that had black pods and bright red seeds. we could see from our window that the cardinals just loved to eat the seeds. later we found out that they are magnolia trees. this year they are loaded with pods. If anyone would like to try and grow some from seed I will pick the pods up when they are mature.I will ship the whole pod with the seeds in them. All you have to do is pay the shipping. please be reasonable on how many you want. alan

• jinginuk
    13 years ago

Alan, Hi! I am interested but I am based in England UK. Is a typical seed pod bulky and/or heavy? Or alternatively, would you be able to take the seeds out from a ripened pod and post the seeds?

• alanwieb
    13 years ago

the seed pods are not heavy. If going to the uk I will send just the seeds for you. the pods are just starting to turn yellow. It will be the end of september before they start to fall. how can we send emails privitely.
    alan

• jinginuk
    13 years ago

Hi Alan, Thanks for your response. I am very new to gardenweb and have just figured out how we can send emails, hopefully. If you go to 'Your Profile' page which allows you to edit your details and prefences, right at the end of the form there is a box which allow members to send emails via forms on the GardenWeb. I have checked the box which means you should be able to send me an email via GardenWeb. I look forward to hearing from you.

• tkhooper
    13 years ago

Well 6 magnolia seeds have been cleaned scarified and planted. Hopefully come spring I should have one tree. I'm crossing my fingers.

• Tossy
    12 years ago

If anyone has any extra Magnolia Seeds, about 100 or so...please email me at tossy@att.net

I will gladly send postage for these seeds. Thanks!

• GaiaVines
    11 years ago

To germinate Magnolia seeds I would recommend using the paper towel method....with a little twist. First collect the red seeds. Then, using either a razor blade or an x-acto knife, carefully cut the outer shell. Once you have the actually seed in hand fill a glass with semi-warm water. Let them soak for about ten to fifteen minutes. Then get a paper towel and moisten it with the same temperature of water. Place the seeds in the middle of the towel and fold it hamburger style. Put everything in a ziplock bag; flatten it, and leave it by a window for about three weeks. You can tell if the seeds have germinated once you see the ziplock bag rise. This keeps the moisture constant in the bag and will help keep the seeds warm. Good luck...let me know how it works out.

• debbiedjs
    10 years ago

I recently got seeds from my sister in law, got 2 pods from the same tree, and got red seeds from one pod and orange seeds from another. Is this possible? Will they produce the same trees? I have never attempted to grow magnolias before. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• four (9B near 9A)
    9 years ago

1)
    A reading of GaiaVines' posting gives reader to understand that no stratification is done.
    Comments, please.

2)
    To GaiaVines, clarification please:
    > red seeds... cut the outer shell.
    > the actually seed
    Brief way to ask it is,
    what is the color of the things that you wrap in paper?

9 years ago

I don't use the paper towel method for germination, nor an exacto knife either - I use my fingernails to get the coating off, then wash the seeds with soap, rinse.

The cleaned finished seed is brown - at least with magnolia wilsonii - I'm assuming the others are similar.

• four (9B near 9A)
    9 years ago

My conjecture is that GalaVines' "actually seed"
    (genesis of the confusion)
    is your and everybody's "finished seed";
    and that, in GalaVines' recommendation, the brown,
    which is the coat,
    is not scraped off the seed.

Remaining is the uncertainty about apparent lack of stratification.

• jwghost31024
    8 years ago

I live in Georgia USA near Savanna. It's September and seeds abound from beautiful trees at least 200 years old. Send me a self addressed postage paid envelope and I'll mail you the seeds. I would even send a picture of the tree it came from. No strings attached. Jwghost31024@yahoo.com

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8 years ago

Click HERE for a link to the Seed Exchange forum.

That's the designated place for the exchange or procurement of all free seeds.